Showing Collections: 21 - 24 of 24
Scope and Contents Leave of absence document issued to Cadet Wilberforce Veitch (VMI Class of 1867). Issued from VMI's temporary headquarters at the Alms House in Richmond, Virginia on April 3, 1865, when the Corps was disbanded during the evacuation of the city.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the one volume diary of Confederate soldier William J. Black. The diary entries date from October 1864 - January 1865, written while Black was serving in Captain John J. Shoemaker's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery. Included are brief accounts of various skirmishes and the Battle of Cedar Creek; campsites and positions are recorded daily. Following the diary entries are copies of two of Shoemaker's reports detailing Battery activities, dated September 1, 1864...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of five letters documenting Civil War cadet life (October 1863-May 1864), written by Cadet William T. Yarbrough, VMI Class of 1867. Yarbrough was a member of the New Market Corps who did not take part in the battle due to ill health (he was left at VMI with the guard detail). The letters, addressed to his parents, include references to academics, uniforms, flirting with local girls, and family concerns. The letter dated May 18, 1864 briefly mentions the fact that the...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of one letter from New Market Cadet Willis O. Harris (Class of 1867), written from VMI on April 17th, 1864. Although primarily containing comments on family news, Harris does mention the uncertainty of whether or not the Corps will be called into the Army and expresses his wish to "have the credit of contributing to the common cause before peace is declared." Less than a month later Harris participated as a cadet in the Battle of New Market. Other documents in the...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1867 X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Black, William Johnson, 1845-1935
- 1 Bransford, John F. (John Francis), 1846-1911
- 1 Cochran, Farmer D.
- 1 Colonna, Benjamin A. (Benjamin Azariah), 1843-1924
- 1 Darden, James D. (James David), 1845-1899
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Harris, Willis O. (Willis Overton), 1847-1911
- 1 Hundley, Charles B. (Charles Buckler), 1846-1908
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Nalle, G. B. Wallace (Gustavus Brown Wallace), 1846-1926
- 1 Nalle, Philip Pendleton
- 1 Pizzini, Andrew, 1846-1913
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Rutherfoord, Thomas M. (Thomas Meldrum), 1848-1914
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shoemaker, John J.
- 1 Smith, Clifton H.
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis L. (Francis Lee), 1845-1916
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Tate, Thomas G.
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Webb, John S. (John Samuel), 1845-1919
- 1 White, Thomas W. (Thomas Wilson), 1846-1907
- 1 Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1842-1918
- 1 Witt, James E. (James Etchison), 1845-1936
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less