Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 26
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Scope and Contents A collection of 19th century cadet drawings (approximately 200 items) completed primarily as assignments for Professor Thomas H. Williamson's architecture, engineering, and drawing courses at the Virginia Military Institute. A few of the drawings were completed for a geometry course and other mathematics courses, or were not class assignments.Some of the geometry drawings are signed by the supervising professors, including e.g. Superintendent Francis H. Smith, who also...
Scope and Contents Class notes (4 notebooks) belonging to Cadet Charles J. Hansrote, Jr. (VMI Class of 1952), containing notes for chemistry courses. Also includes two mechanical drawings.
Content Description Examples of manuals used by cadets in the department of Mechanical Engineering Energy Lab during the 1980's - 2002.
Scope and Contents The collection contains three notebooks, two miscellaneous documents, and an annotated analytical geometry text that belonged to Virginia Military Institute Cadet Edward C. Shepherd during his years as a VMI student, 1851-1855. The first notebook contains approximately 50 pen and ink, hand-tinted drawings by Shepherd; these were completed as assignments for VMI courses and some bear the signature of Superintendent Francis H. Smith (" Examined correct, F.H. Smith"). This book also includes a...
Scope and Contents One 3-ring binder containing Organic Chemistry class notes, and misc. other notes, kept by Cadet George V. Atkison, VMI Class of 1940.
Scope and Contents Six letters, 1920-1921, written by Cadet James D. Hankins to his cousin Florence. He describes many features of cadet life during the early 1920's, including a New Year's Eve celebration, a feud between the first and third classes, throwing "bombs" in Barracks courtyard, final exams, and a ghost haunting barracks.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the Civil War correspondence (18 items) of James Henry Reid. Included are 13 letters from Reid to his parents written while he was a fourth classman at the Virginia Military Institute, August - November 1862. This correspondence contains many references to wartime cadet life, including use of the term "rat" as a name for new cadets, hazing, uniforms, food, guard duty and other aspects of life ...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers dating from the cadetship of James Keith, including a scrapbook fragment; 3 essays written for English & History classes; snapshots (ca. 17 items) and a furlough request.
Scope and Contents Six letters from John B. Mosby to family members. Those dated 1870-1871 concern family matters; the letters written in 1873 from VMI contain references to faculty, academics, and cadet life (ice skating on river). The collection also includes a grade report for April 1872.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Curricula X
- 1 Allen, Robert C. (Robert Clotworthy), 1834-1863
- 1 Atkison, George V. (George Vinson), 1917-
- 1 Baldinger, Ora M. (Ora Mathias), 1886-1978
- 1 Bargamin, Eugene V. (Eugene Victor), 1835-1860
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 3 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Blair, Henry W. (Henry Wayne), 1851-1884
- 1 Blair, Robert S., 1835-1902
- 1 Boyd, Thomas M. (Thomas Massie), 1838-1894
- 1 Briggs, A. Sidney, 1902-1988
- 1 Brockenbrough, William A. (William Austin), 1836-1896
- 1 Carson, Robert P. (Robert Preston), 1832-1924
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cooke, Giles B. (Giles Buckner), 1838-1937
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dodson, John E. (John Edward), 1845-1863
- 1 Fife, William E. (William Estill), 1834-1891
- 1 Galloway, Thomas S. (Thomas Spraggin), 1840-1903
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hankins, James D. (James DeWitt), 1902-1978
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Hansrote, Charles J.
- 1 Hardy, Charles W. (Charles Wesley), 1836-1871
- 1 Hardy, Edward M. (Edward Mohun), 1840-1882
- 1 Harris, Nicholas C. (Nicholas Cobbs), 1837-1898
- 1 Hawkins, Norment D. (Norment Doniphan), 1849-1931
- 1 Henry, William B. (William Byrd), 1875-1916
- 1 Hill, A. Govan (Archibald Govan), 1839-1914
- 1 Holt, Charles A. (Charles Asbury), 1836-1908
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Keith, James, 1911-
- 1 Kemble, William E. (William Elkanah), 1831-1896
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lovell, William, 1834-1892
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 McCausland, John, 1836-1927
- 1 Mears, Levin W., 1838-1862
- 1 Miller, Julius G. (Julius Gordon), 1839-1908
- 1 Moncure, William A. (William Augustus), 1863-1947
- 1 Morton, Osmond S. (Osmond Summers), 1845-1920
- 1 Mosby Family
- 1 Mosby, John B. (John Burks), 1853-1876
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Park, William K., 1840-1865
- 1 Parker, John C. (John Crump), 1895-1986
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Pegram, John C. (John Cargill), 1838-1864
- 1 Pollard, Richard, 1829-1908
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Ross, George, 1838-1926
- 1 Saunders, Valentine C. (Valentine Cook), 1820-1894
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Edward L. (Edward Livingston), 1835-1859
- 5 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Strange family
- 1 Strange, John B. (John Bowie), 1823-1862
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Trandel, Richard S.
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Chemistry
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Physics and Astronomy
- 1 Waring, John L. (John Lancaster), 1848-1942
- 1 Warren, James A. (James Albert), 1856-1879
- 1 Williams, Lewis B. (Lewis Burwell), 1833-1863
- 3 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less