Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 26
Scope and Contents Strange's letter to his sister Anne was written just a few months after the Institute's opening day, and is one of the oldest personal cadet letters still in existence. Strange mentions several aspects of cadet life that were common during the pre-Civil War era: Final examinations were given orally rather than as written tests, presided over by faculty and the VMI Board of Visitors and open to the public; summer furlough was not automatic, and many cadets stayed at the Institute throughout the...
Scope and Contents Three notebooks (chemistry and physics) that belonged to VMI Cadet John C. Paker, containing experiments and lab notes for 1912-1914. Parker was a member of the VMI Class of 1914.
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers (5 items) of Cadet John L. Tunstall. Includes one letter from Cadet Tunstall to his mother, in which he describes the cermonies marking the second anniversary of the Battle of New Market (including the reinterment of 5 of the cadets killed at New Market), recalls the horror of the war, and mentions visit of Robert E. Lee to Stonewall Jackson's gravesite; 2 notebooks containing VMI Class notes (Engineering); one photograph album containing ca. 33 images of...
Scope and Contents Ca. 32 items. Letters, 1855-1861, written by Joseph H. Chenoweth to his parents. Letters dating from his cadetship cover topics such as exams, trips, demerits, and provide a good portrait of pre-war cadet life. Letters dated 1860-1861 were written while he was a Professor at Maryland Agricultural College and at VMI; topics include the election of 1860, John T. L. Preston, religion. The collection also contains two VMI grade reports for 1856. Transcriptions of the cadet letters are available on...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (ca. 40 items) dating from the cadetship of Ora M. Baldinger, VMI Class of 1910. Included are his cadet account book, grade reports, receipts, and class notes from Engineering and Physics.
Scope and Contents Notebook (ca. 145 pages) reflecting cadet life 1848-1851. Includes accounts of Corps trips to Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk and Rockbridge Alum Springs; cadet poetry and essays; poetry by Sara Henderson Smith; addresses delivered before the Cadet Dialectic Society (a literary and debating society); discussion of exams (1851) in English and Natural Philosophy; an account of "An Oyster Supper---A Frolic After Taps", and an account of "our last bible recitation" in which Gibbs describes the last...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two items. 1. Letter dated January 25, 1855 from a Prussian official, denying Barksdale and his roommates permission to enter the Prussian Army. 2. Notebook contains class notes, including notes taken in Stonewall Jackson's class section in Natural Philsophy (a course that would today be most similar to Physics) and notes taken in Analytical Geometry class taught by Francis H. Smith; resolution issued by cadets following murder of Cadet Thomas Blackburn, Class of...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers of Thomas T. Munford, including three personal letters from Munford: 1861 April 18 to Charles Ellis, discussing the outbreak of war; 1864 May 9 to George P. Tayloe, his father-in-law, discussing the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House; May 21 1865 to Sallie Munford, his niece, expressing sadness caused by the South's defeat. Other papers include a photostat of Munford's Special Orders No. 6 dated 1865 April 25; the architecture textbook used by Munford during his cadetship...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Curricula X
- 1 Allen, Robert C. (Robert Clotworthy), 1834-1863
- 1 Atkison, George V. (George Vinson), 1917-
- 1 Baldinger, Ora M. (Ora Mathias), 1886-1978
- 1 Bargamin, Eugene V. (Eugene Victor), 1835-1860
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 3 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Blair, Henry W. (Henry Wayne), 1851-1884
- 1 Blair, Robert S., 1835-1902
- 1 Boyd, Thomas M. (Thomas Massie), 1838-1894
- 1 Briggs, A. Sidney, 1902-1988
- 1 Brockenbrough, William A. (William Austin), 1836-1896
- 1 Carson, Robert P. (Robert Preston), 1832-1924
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cooke, Giles B. (Giles Buckner), 1838-1937
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Dodson, John E. (John Edward), 1845-1863
- 1 Fife, William E. (William Estill), 1834-1891
- 1 Galloway, Thomas S. (Thomas Spraggin), 1840-1903
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Hankins, James D. (James DeWitt), 1902-1978
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Hansrote, Charles J.
- 1 Hardy, Charles W. (Charles Wesley), 1836-1871
- 1 Hardy, Edward M. (Edward Mohun), 1840-1882
- 1 Harris, Nicholas C. (Nicholas Cobbs), 1837-1898
- 1 Hawkins, Norment D. (Norment Doniphan), 1849-1931
- 1 Henry, William B. (William Byrd), 1875-1916
- 1 Hill, A. Govan (Archibald Govan), 1839-1914
- 1 Holt, Charles A. (Charles Asbury), 1836-1908
- 3 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Keith, James, 1911-
- 1 Kemble, William E. (William Elkanah), 1831-1896
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lovell, William, 1834-1892
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 McCausland, John, 1836-1927
- 1 Mears, Levin W., 1838-1862
- 1 Miller, Julius G. (Julius Gordon), 1839-1908
- 1 Moncure, William A. (William Augustus), 1863-1947
- 1 Morton, Osmond S. (Osmond Summers), 1845-1920
- 1 Mosby Family
- 1 Mosby, John B. (John Burks), 1853-1876
- 1 Munford, Thomas T. (Thomas Taylor), 1831-1918
- 1 Park, William K., 1840-1865
- 1 Parker, John C. (John Crump), 1895-1986
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Pegram, John C. (John Cargill), 1838-1864
- 1 Pollard, Richard, 1829-1908
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Ross, George, 1838-1926
- 1 Saunders, Valentine C. (Valentine Cook), 1820-1894
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Edward L. (Edward Livingston), 1835-1859
- 5 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Strange family
- 1 Strange, John B. (John Bowie), 1823-1862
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Trandel, Richard S.
- 1 Tunstall, John L. (John Liggat), 1845-1877
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Chemistry
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Physics and Astronomy
- 1 Waring, John L. (John Lancaster), 1848-1942
- 1 Warren, James A. (James Albert), 1856-1879
- 1 Williams, Lewis B. (Lewis Burwell), 1833-1863
- 3 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less