Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 44
Scope and Contents This collection contains individual biographical files for all 19th and early 20th century cadets; and historical faculty/staff, Board of Visitors members, and other people associated with VMI history. A typical historical cadet record consists of correspondence from parents regarding a cadetship; correspondence from the alumnus; alumni questionnaires, often containing genealogical information; and obituaries and other clippings. A file is maintained for every student who enrolled,...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the Civil War correspondence (18 items) of James Henry Reid. Included are 13 letters from Reid to his parents written while he was a fourth classman at the Virginia Military Institute, August - November 1862. This correspondence contains many references to wartime cadet life, including use of the term "rat" as a name for new cadets, hazing, uniforms, food, guard duty and other aspects of life ...
Scope and Contents 4 items, including a letter (1855) from Cadet Waddell to his sister, that contains a detailed description and pencil drawing of his room (#14) in Barracks and of his roomates (Barksdale, Penn, Magruder, Shepherd, Wilson); a second drawing of a barracks room & roommates (similar to a sketch found in the Shepherd Collection, MS#0019); pencil map, 8 inches x 10 inches, labeled "Plan of Battle of Bethel Church, June 10, 1861." Letter of recommendation, 1879, written by VMI's Superintendent...
Scope and Contents Personal papers (40 items) of James W. Massie. The papers include incoming correspondence (1855-1857); Civil War papers, primarily incoming letters, orders and commissions, 1861-1863; post-war papers, including letters written by Massie's wife, Sophie, and documents relating to their son, James McDowell Massie; misc., other documents, Confederate bonds, and envelopes.
Scope and Contents Records relating to the history of the Electrical Engineering Department, dating from Jamison's service as faculty member and department head.
Scope and Contents The Jennings C. Wise Papers consist primarily of incoming and outgoing correspondence from the period 1910-1960. Included are letters dating from his years as Professor and Commandant of Cadets at VMI, from his practice of law, and from his retirement period in which he devoted himself primarily to writing. Wise was passionately interested in the history and future development of VMI and much of the correspondence reflects his ongoing involvement with the school. He often held controversial...
Scope and Contents Six letters from John B. Mosby to family members. Those dated 1870-1871 concern family matters; the letters written in 1873 from VMI contain references to faculty, academics, and cadet life (ice skating on river). The collection also includes a grade report for April 1872.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of photograph albums, diplomas, and miscellaneous papers documenting the life of John Edward Townes. The photos depict both his VMI cadetship and his subsequent career in the U. S. Army Coast Artillery Corps (1908-1920) and at VMI as a faculty member (1921-1956). During World War I he served in France with the American Expeditionary Force (AEF).
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the letters and diary of Cadet John F. Early (b. 1830 in Lynchburg, Va.; d. 1894), who attended VMI 1848-1850. The one volume diary-notebook contains short and sporadic entries; daily routines and special events are noted; one of the earliest references to Superintendent Francis H. Smith as "Spex" (April 30, 1850); lists of cadets; room occupants; poetry of Sara Henderson Smith ("The Old Gray Coat) and others. The five letters were written to...
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty X
- 1 Anderson, Stewart W. (Stewart Wise), 1886-1970
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, George L. (George Lloyd), 1891-1984
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 2 Brooke, George M., Jr.
- 1 Burgess, C. F. (Chester Francis)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Corbin, Diana Maury, 1837-1900
- 1 Corbin, Spotswood Wellford, 1835-1897
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Cunningham, Edward, 1841-1904
- 1 Cutshaw, Wilfred E. (Wilfred Emory), 1838-1907
- 1 Davidson, Lloyd J., 1911-1990
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Denegre, John, 1844-1871
- 1 Dillard, Herbert N., Jr.
- 1 Dooley, Edwin L., 1942-
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edwards, Murray F. (Murray French), 1885-1963
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flowerree, Daniel W. (Daniel Walton), 1838-1878
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gilham, Cordelia Hayden
- 2 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Greet, Thomas Y.
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Hardin Family
- 2 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hunter, Robert F., 1921-
- 1 Hutter, Edward S. (Edward Sixtus), 1839-1904
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 6 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jamison, John S., Jr.
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lyell, John W. (John Warner), 1838-1902
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Mann, John H. C., 1900-1975
- 1 Marr, Robert A.
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 Maury, Ann Herndon, 1811-1901
- 1 Maury, Dabney Herndon, 1822-1900
- 1 Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- 1 Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1832-1867
- 1 McDonald, Marshall, 1835-1895
- 1 McGuire, Hunter, 1835-1900
- 1 Millner, Esther A., 1894-1979
- 1 Millner, Samuel M. (Samuel Morehead), 1891-1985
- 1 Morrison, James H. (James Horace), 1839-1910
- 1 Mosby Family
- 1 Mosby, John B. (John Burks), 1853-1876
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 2 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Purdie, Kenneth S. (Kenneth Sinclair), 1892-1983
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Semmes, Thomas M. (Thomas Middleton), 1860-1904
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 4 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 4 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Steidtmann, Edward, 1881-1948
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 Turner, Robert K.
- 1 VMI Research Laboratories, Inc.
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of English, Rhetoric, and Humanistic Studies
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Deputy Superintendent for Academics and Dean of the Faculty
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Welles, Paul, 1884-1950
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Jennings C. (Jennings Cropper), 1881-1968 ∧ less