Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 44
Scope and Contents 2 volumes of testimonial letters from Mann's former students at VMI, presented to him when he retired from the Engineering Department in 1967; Board of Visitors resolution, 1967; misc., oversized items, including his graduate school diploma from MIT.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers of John T. L. Preston including a farm account book (1834-1887), bills, deeds, memoranda, receipts, and correspondence. The majority of the papers relate to Preston's personal financial and property (land) transactions and do not involve his work at VMI. Noteable items found in the the papers include a letter (1863 April 24) to Gen. Stonewall Jackson (to whom he was related by marriage) in which Preston discusses religious and financial matters; a...
Scope and Contents Papers consist of: Manuscript notebook compiled by Carpenter during his cadetship, 1852-1856, containing poetry, class notes, autographs of classmates, detailed account of Corps trip to Petersburg and Richmond, October 1855.Two letters written by Carpenter to his father in 1862, including letter of June 16, 1862 describing fighting near Port Republic, Virginia.Letter of recommendation written on Carpenter's behalf by Brigadier General John Echols, submitted to...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (ca. 250 items). Includes subject files concerning the publication of the 1912 VMI yearbook, of which Purdie was editor; personal correspondence; documents (1916) concerning the Culver Military Academy, Culver, Indiana; military service records (photocopies); notes on VMI athletic history (1901-1916); photograph album (1911-1913), including photos of VMI and Wentworth Military Academy.
Scope and Contents Papers of Lloyd J. Davidson, consisting of miscellaneous personal correspondence; examination questions and assignment sheets for his English classes at the Virginia Military Institute; copies of speeches presented to the Lexington (Virginia) Fortnightly Club; biographical information.
Scope and Contents The Mark B. Hardin papers contain twenty letters. The bulk of the correspondence was written by Hardin to his siblings, Susan Lane Hardin and John Haywood Hardin, during the period 1864-1899. In addition to family and personal news, the letters touch on various aspects of Hardin's career (Civil War service, VMI Faculty member).
Scope and Contents Manuscript containing professional notes relating to Civil Engineering.
Scope and Contents Papers, approximately 90 items, of Marshall McDonald. The papers include primarily incoming and some outgoing correspondence, 1861-1892; notes; scientific reports; and miscellaneous documents. Among the correspondents are several VMI alumni and faculty members, including Scott Shipp, Francis H. Smith, Edward Cunningham, Wilfred E. Cutshaw, John W. Lyell, James H. Morrison, Mark B. Hardin, and Daniel W. Flowerree; and several Civil War officers including Gen. Dabney H. Maury and Hunter McGuire....
Overview The Matthew Fontaine Maury Papers consist largely of personal letters written by Maury to various members of his immediate family, 1840-1873.
Scope and Contents Murray French Edwards (Class of 1907) was a Professor of German at VMI for most of his career. Collection consists of travel diary, ca. 53 pages, describing Edwards' trip to Germany. Entries all in German, are dated June 24-August 8, 1913. Discusses cities visited, hotels, expenses, museums, and other tourist attractions.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty X
- 1 Anderson, Stewart W. (Stewart Wise), 1886-1970
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, George L. (George Lloyd), 1891-1984
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 2 Brooke, George M., Jr.
- 1 Burgess, C. F. (Chester Francis)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Corbin, Diana Maury, 1837-1900
- 1 Corbin, Spotswood Wellford, 1835-1897
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Cunningham, Edward, 1841-1904
- 1 Cutshaw, Wilfred E. (Wilfred Emory), 1838-1907
- 1 Davidson, Lloyd J., 1911-1990
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Denegre, John, 1844-1871
- 1 Dillard, Herbert N., Jr.
- 1 Dooley, Edwin L., 1942-
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edwards, Murray F. (Murray French), 1885-1963
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flowerree, Daniel W. (Daniel Walton), 1838-1878
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gilham, Cordelia Hayden
- 2 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Greet, Thomas Y.
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Hardin Family
- 2 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hunter, Robert F., 1921-
- 1 Hutter, Edward S. (Edward Sixtus), 1839-1904
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 6 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jamison, John S., Jr.
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lyell, John W. (John Warner), 1838-1902
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Mann, John H. C., 1900-1975
- 1 Marr, Robert A.
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 Maury, Ann Herndon, 1811-1901
- 1 Maury, Dabney Herndon, 1822-1900
- 1 Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- 1 Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1832-1867
- 1 McDonald, Marshall, 1835-1895
- 1 McGuire, Hunter, 1835-1900
- 1 Millner, Esther A., 1894-1979
- 1 Millner, Samuel M. (Samuel Morehead), 1891-1985
- 1 Morrison, James H. (James Horace), 1839-1910
- 1 Mosby Family
- 1 Mosby, John B. (John Burks), 1853-1876
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 2 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Purdie, Kenneth S. (Kenneth Sinclair), 1892-1983
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Semmes, Thomas M. (Thomas Middleton), 1860-1904
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 4 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 4 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Steidtmann, Edward, 1881-1948
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 Turner, Robert K.
- 1 VMI Research Laboratories, Inc.
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of English, Rhetoric, and Humanistic Studies
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Deputy Superintendent for Academics and Dean of the Faculty
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Welles, Paul, 1884-1950
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Jennings C. (Jennings Cropper), 1881-1968 ∧ less