Showing Collections: 31 - 40 of 44
Scope and Contents Personal papers, 1897-1950, of VMI faculty member Paul Welles. The papers include personal correspondence and diaries (1928-1950), records from his military career (1916-1919); photos; speeches; certificates (oversized). Little of the collection relates to Welles' career at VMI.
Scope and Contents Notebook (ca. 145 pages) reflecting cadet life 1848-1851. Includes accounts of Corps trips to Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk and Rockbridge Alum Springs; cadet poetry and essays; poetry by Sara Henderson Smith; addresses delivered before the Cadet Dialectic Society (a literary and debating society); discussion of exams (1851) in English and Natural Philosophy; an account of "An Oyster Supper---A Frolic After Taps", and an account of "our last bible recitation" in which Gibbs describes the last...
Contents Note Bulk consists of edited typescript and illustrations for Hunter's book, Claudius Crozet (University of Virginia Press, 1989). The book was co-authored by Edwin L. Dooley. Also typescript of article "The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1816-1860."
Scope and Contents Annotated typescripts, galley and page proofs, and other pre-publication materials relating to: Letters of a New Market cadet (University of North Carolina Press, 1961) edited by Robert K. Turner and John G. Barrett. Most of the original documents that appear in the book are located in the Jaqueline Beverly Stanard Papers, VMI Archives.
Scope and Contents Personal papers of VMI Professor Samuel M. Millner, Jr. The papers include correspondence with his wife Esther Ayres Millner and with classmates; diaries; photographs; miscellaneous documents.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (14 items) of Stewart W. Anderson, consisting of commissions & certificates awarded during his long career.
Overview The Stonewall Jackson Papers consist primarily of Jackson's outgoing personal correspondence for the years 1844-1860. The collection also contains a relatively small number of Civil War era papers, as well as the papers of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, his second wife, and papers of the Arnold family.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of Thomas H. Williamson's Civil War memoirs, in which he discusses the events that took place during his temporary assignment to the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) beginning in April 1862; lecture notes (1850's) used in teaching his engineering and architecture courses at the Virginia Military Institute; 2 copies of the textbook written by Williamson for use at VMI, An Elementary Course of Architecture and Civil Engineering;...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the diary (1883-1885) written by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Thomas J. Nottingham. It contains a consistent record of the daily cadet routine as it existed during the mid- 1880's and is an excellent source for information about student life during that era. Included are specific references to recitations, fights, dress parade, the Dialectic Society (a student debating society), YMCA, girls, baseball and football games with Washington College students ("minks"),...
Scope and Contents Manuscript (holograph, 38 pages) of a speech given by VMI Modern Languages Professor Thomas M. Semmes. The speech, concerning Stonewall Jackson, was presented in Richmond circa 1892. Semmes, an 1860 VMI graduate, was a cadet during the time that Jackson was on the VMI faculty.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty X
- 1 Anderson, Stewart W. (Stewart Wise), 1886-1970
- 1 Barrett, John Gilchrist
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, George L. (George Lloyd), 1891-1984
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 2 Brooke, George M., Jr.
- 1 Burgess, C. F. (Chester Francis)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Corbin, Diana Maury, 1837-1900
- 1 Corbin, Spotswood Wellford, 1835-1897
- 1 Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864
- 1 Cunningham, Edward, 1841-1904
- 1 Cutshaw, Wilfred E. (Wilfred Emory), 1838-1907
- 1 Davidson, Lloyd J., 1911-1990
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Denegre, John, 1844-1871
- 1 Dillard, Herbert N., Jr.
- 1 Dooley, Edwin L., 1942-
- 1 Early, John F. (John Fletcher), 1830-1894
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edwards, Murray F. (Murray French), 1885-1963
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Flowerree, Daniel W. (Daniel Walton), 1838-1878
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gilham, Cordelia Hayden
- 2 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Greet, Thomas Y.
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Hardin Family
- 2 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 1 Hunter, Robert F., 1921-
- 1 Hutter, Edward S. (Edward Sixtus), 1839-1904
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 6 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jamison, John S., Jr.
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lyell, John W. (John Warner), 1838-1902
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Mann, John H. C., 1900-1975
- 1 Marr, Robert A.
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 Maury, Ann Herndon, 1811-1901
- 1 Maury, Dabney Herndon, 1822-1900
- 1 Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- 1 Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1832-1867
- 1 McDonald, Marshall, 1835-1895
- 1 McGuire, Hunter, 1835-1900
- 1 Millner, Esther A., 1894-1979
- 1 Millner, Samuel M. (Samuel Morehead), 1891-1985
- 1 Morrison, James H. (James Horace), 1839-1910
- 1 Mosby Family
- 1 Mosby, John B. (John Burks), 1853-1876
- 1 Nottingham, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1864-1953
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 2 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Purdie, Kenneth S. (Kenneth Sinclair), 1892-1983
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Semmes, Thomas M. (Thomas Middleton), 1860-1904
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 4 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 4 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Steidtmann, Edward, 1881-1948
- 1 Townes, John E., 1886-1970
- 1 Turner, Robert K.
- 1 VMI Research Laboratories, Inc.
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of English, Rhetoric, and Humanistic Studies
- 3 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Deputy Superintendent for Academics and Dean of the Faculty
- 1 Waddell, James H. (James Henry), 1833-1884
- 1 Welles, Paul, 1884-1950
- 1 Williamson, Henry Watson, 1823-1884
- 2 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Wise, Jennings C. (Jennings Cropper), 1881-1968 ∧ less