Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Scope and Contents Diary of Edward Steidtmann, kept during his trip to Alaska in the summer and fall of 1918. Daily entries give a detailed account of the journey. A few entries are dated before and after the trip.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of his diaries for the period 1909-1936; 1 volume of lecture notes (1933-1935) used for a history course at VMI; and a photograph album (1917-1927) containing images of cadet life, VMI buildings, and family members.
Scope and Contents This collection contains individual biographical files for all 19th and early 20th century cadets; and historical faculty/staff, Board of Visitors members, and other people associated with VMI history. A typical historical cadet record consists of correspondence from parents regarding a cadetship; correspondence from the alumnus; alumni questionnaires, often containing genealogical information; and obituaries and other clippings. A file is maintained for every student who enrolled,...
Scope and Contents Personal papers (40 items) of James W. Massie. The papers include incoming correspondence (1855-1857); Civil War papers, primarily incoming letters, orders and commissions, 1861-1863; post-war papers, including letters written by Massie's wife, Sophie, and documents relating to their son, James McDowell Massie; misc., other documents, Confederate bonds, and envelopes.
Scope and Contents 2 volumes of testimonial letters from Mann's former students at VMI, presented to him when he retired from the Engineering Department in 1967; Board of Visitors resolution, 1967; misc., oversized items, including his graduate school diploma from MIT.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers of John T. L. Preston including a farm account book (1834-1887), bills, deeds, memoranda, receipts, and correspondence. The majority of the papers relate to Preston's personal financial and property (land) transactions and do not involve his work at VMI. Noteable items found in the the papers include a letter (1863 April 24) to Gen. Stonewall Jackson (to whom he was related by marriage) in which Preston discusses religious and financial matters; a...
Scope and Contents Papers, approximately 90 items, of Marshall McDonald. The papers include primarily incoming and some outgoing correspondence, 1861-1892; notes; scientific reports; and miscellaneous documents. Among the correspondents are several VMI alumni and faculty members, including Scott Shipp, Francis H. Smith, Edward Cunningham, Wilfred E. Cutshaw, John W. Lyell, James H. Morrison, Mark B. Hardin, and Daniel W. Flowerree; and several Civil War officers including Gen. Dabney H. Maury and Hunter McGuire....
Overview The Matthew Fontaine Maury Papers consist largely of personal letters written by Maury to various members of his immediate family, 1840-1873.
Scope and Contents Murray French Edwards (Class of 1907) was a Professor of German at VMI for most of his career. Collection consists of travel diary, ca. 53 pages, describing Edwards' trip to Germany. Entries all in German, are dated June 24-August 8, 1913. Discusses cities visited, hotels, expenses, museums, and other tourist attractions.
Scope and Contents Personal papers of VMI Professor Samuel M. Millner, Jr. The papers include correspondence with his wife Esther Ayres Millner and with classmates; diaries; photographs; miscellaneous documents.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty -- Biography X
- 1 Barton, George L. (George Lloyd), 1891-1984
- 1 Corbin, Diana Maury, 1837-1900
- 1 Corbin, Spotswood Wellford, 1835-1897
- 1 Cunningham, Edward, 1841-1904
- 1 Cutshaw, Wilfred E. (Wilfred Emory), 1838-1907
- 1 Denegre, John, 1844-1871
- 1 Edwards, Murray F. (Murray French), 1885-1963
- 1 Flowerree, Daniel W. (Daniel Walton), 1838-1878
- 1 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Lyell, John W. (John Warner), 1838-1902
- 1 Mann, John H. C., 1900-1975
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 Maury, Ann Herndon, 1811-1901
- 1 Maury, Dabney Herndon, 1822-1900
- 1 Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- 1 Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1832-1867
- 1 McDonald, Marshall, 1835-1895
- 1 McGuire, Hunter, 1835-1900
- 1 Millner, Esther A., 1894-1979
- 1 Millner, Samuel M. (Samuel Morehead), 1891-1985
- 1 Morrison, James H. (James Horace), 1839-1910
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Steidtmann, Edward, 1881-1948
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Department of History
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less