Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 34
Scope and Contents One letter (November 24, 1842) from Cadet James Saunders to his cousin John Mitchell. Saunders describes hardships of cadet life, the dullness of Lexington, VMI's 3rd anniversary (Founders Day) celebration, a storm damaging the north wall of Barracks, and mentions Edward C. Carrington, Class of 1844. One of the earliest extant cadet personal letters.
Scope and Contents Papers, 8 items, of James W. Breedlove. Includes two letters (October 13, 1859; March 11, 1861) from Cadet Breedlove to his grandfather in which he discusses his studies, expenses; two letters from Superintendent Francis H. Smith to Cadet Breedlove's grandfather, acknowledging receipt of money; three VMI quarterly grade reports; one account sheet detailing VMI expenses.
Scope and Contents Strange's letter to his sister Anne was written just a few months after the Institute's opening day, and is one of the oldest personal cadet letters still in existence. Strange mentions several aspects of cadet life that were common during the pre-Civil War era: Final examinations were given orally rather than as written tests, presided over by faculty and the VMI Board of Visitors and open to the public; summer furlough was not automatic, and many cadets stayed at the Institute throughout the...
Scope and Contents The collection contains two Gilliat-related documents--one letter from John L. Gilliat to Lewis D. Crenshaw (dated Bank of England, Feb. 7, 1884), discussing status of VMI's debt to the company; and one bank draft (Canadian Bank of Commerce), payable to John K. Gilliat & Co., Feb. 23, 1876.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 14 letters written by VMI Cadet John Sims (Class of 1871), to members of his family. Dated 1868-1871, the correspondence provides rich details of cadet life during that era, as well as containing personal news. Sims mentions many leisure activities --a traveling theater troupe, baseball vs. Washington and Lee University Lee, debating societies, ice skating--as well commenting on academic life and routine events. The letter dated October 17, 1870 mentions viewing the body...
Identifier: RG-01-Correspondence-Preston - Smith
Scope and Contents Correspondence between Francis H. Smith, who became VMI's first Superintendent, and John T. L. Preston relating to the organization and opening of VMI. Includes four letters from Preston to Smith; and one letter from Smith to Preston, in which he accepts the job offered by the Board of Visitors to serve as Superintendent (originally called Principal Professor). One related letter is from Francis H. Smith to William Atkinson or Atkison, in which Smith asks for advice about VMI's job...
Scope and Contents Ca. 32 items. Letters, 1855-1861, written by Joseph H. Chenoweth to his parents. Letters dating from his cadetship cover topics such as exams, trips, demerits, and provide a good portrait of pre-war cadet life. Letters dated 1860-1861 were written while he was a Professor at Maryland Agricultural College and at VMI; topics include the election of 1860, John T. L. Preston, religion. The collection also contains two VMI grade reports for 1856. Transcriptions of the cadet letters are available on...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two series. The first series contains miscellaneous records (1702; 1793-1814; 17 items) relating to the Virginia Militia, including regimental returns for various militia units. This material pre-dates the establishment of the state arsenal at Lexington, Virginia, but the documents were found among the Lexington arsenal records also contained in this collection. Two of the documents date from the British colonial period (1702). The second series (1819-1839)...
Scope and Contents Papers, approximately 90 items, of Marshall McDonald. The papers include primarily incoming and some outgoing correspondence, 1861-1892; notes; scientific reports; and miscellaneous documents. Among the correspondents are several VMI alumni and faculty members, including Scott Shipp, Francis H. Smith, Edward Cunningham, Wilfred E. Cutshaw, John W. Lyell, James H. Morrison, Mark B. Hardin, and Daniel W. Flowerree; and several Civil War officers including Gen. Dabney H. Maury and Hunter McGuire....
Scope and Contents This collection comprises the official public minutes of the VMI Board of Visitors. The first meeting of the Board was held in May 1839. A significant portion of historical minutes have been digitized and are available online, including those for the Civil War era. Modern minutes (from 1982-forward) are also available online.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 19th century X
- 1 Amiss, Frederick T., 1866-1942
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beale, William S. (William Steenbergen)
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Carrington, Edward C., Jr. (Edward Codrington)
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Cunningham, Edward, 1841-1904
- 1 Cutshaw, Wilfred E. (Wilfred Emory), 1838-1907
- 1 Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892
- 1 Denegre, John, 1844-1871
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Figgat, Charles M. (Charles Miles), ?-1899
- 1 Flowerree, Daniel W. (Daniel Walton), 1838-1878
- 1 Gibbs, Nellie Tracy, 1868-1948
- 1 Gilham, Cordelia Hayden
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Gilliat, John L.
- 1 Gunn, Giles
- 1 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 John K. Gilliat and Company (London, England)
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lyell, John W. (John Warner), 1838-1902
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Maury, Dabney Herndon, 1822-1900
- 1 McDonald, Marshall, 1835-1895
- 1 McGuire, Hunter, 1835-1900
- 1 Mercer, William N. (William Newton)
- 1 Morrison, James H. (James Horace), 1839-1910
- 1 Perry, Sidney R. (Sidney Rawson), 1873-1929
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Saunders, James D., 1824-1851
- 1 Saunders, Valentine C. (Valentine Cook), 1820-1894
- 4 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 9 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Strange family
- 1 Strange, John B. (John Bowie), 1823-1862
- 1 Taliaferro, Warner T. (Warner Throckmorton), 1874-1890
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Alumni Association
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Board of Visitors
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Library
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Museum
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of Communications and Marketing
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Chief of Staff
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 4 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Watson, Edward Minor, 1851-1887
- 1 Weddell, William S. (William Sparrow), 1874-1944 ∧ less