Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 34
Scope and Contents These files constitute the major record series generated by the office of Francis H. Smith, VMI’s first Superintendent. He served from 1839-1889. The records, (ca. 30 linear feet) consist of incoming and outgoing correspondence, order books, speeches and publications, annual reports, personal file, and subject files.
Scope and Contents Official records of the Scott Shipp administration, including correspondence, annual reports, and related papers/records for the period 1890-1907.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 3 items. One letter (November 17, 1859) from Cadet Downing to his father, in which he describes in detail the cadets' trip to Norfolk, VA, including an interesting account of an uncomfortable canal boat journey; one list of demerits (April-June 1860); one quarterly grade report (July 1860)
Scope and Contents The collection contains three manuscript notebooks containing verse letters, poetry, notes, and a few newspaper clippings, bulk 1861-1865. One of the volumes is titled "Order Book, 9th Regiment Va. Volunteers, Craney Island"; on the endsheets of this book are glued original manuscript signatures of VMI faculty and others , apparently clipped from letters. The pages of this volume contain Sara's writings. A folder that contains Sara's writings on loose pages within the "Order Book" is also part...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a 40 page diary kept by Virginia Militiary Institute Cadet Sidney Perry from 1888-1891; a Class of 1892 photograph album containing photos of classmates, faculty, and cadet life; and six individual images, primarily summer camp scenes, circa 1890. The diary includes details of daily cadet life and an account of the death of Cadet Warner T. Taliaferro died following a fight with a fellow cadet, Frank W. McConnico.
Overview The Stonewall Jackson Papers consist primarily of Jackson's outgoing personal correspondence for the years 1844-1860. The collection also contains a relatively small number of Civil War era papers, as well as the papers of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, his second wife, and papers of the Arnold family.
Scope and Contents Letter from Cadet Saunders to his parents is the oldest extant letter written by a VMI cadet. Dated November 30, 1839, shortly after the first cadets arrived in Lexington, the letter provides a cadet's view of the newly established Institute. Saunders describes the arsenal; relationship with Washington College; the method of instruction; course of studies; gives his opinion (favorable) of Superintendent Francis H. Smith. Collection also contains Saunders' copy of a published address by Francis...
Scope and Contents Includes Ledgers, vouchers, accounts, correspondence, and other financial records dating from the opening days of the Institute through the early 20th century. These records are a good source of information for tracing early purchases of goods and services; local Lexington and Rockbridge County businesses/artisans/craftsmen appear in vouchers. Also contains subject files maintained by COL William Couper, who served as VMI Business Executive from the 1920's-the 1950's. These files,...
Identifier: RG-02-Orders and Memoranda
Scope and Contents The Order Books contain official orders and notices concerning the military regulations and operations, as well as the academic administration of the Institute. The definitions of Orders, Special Orders, and Memoranda overlap and vary over time. General definitions are- General Orders: Announcements of interest to all or to a large group of cadets and the faculty, concerning military and academic schedules and regulations, special events, military and academic...
Scope and Contents Scrapbooks of newspaper clippings providing a chronological view of VMI activities, events. Categories include general topics; sports, and special topics. From the 1950's forward these were compiled by the Public Relations staff; prior to that date they originated with various other employees, including the Librarian Nellie Gibbs. The Gibbs sometimes contain photographs pasted to pages. General VMI Topics: 1845-1981; Sports/Athletics, 1920-1972; Special Topics: Hazing death of...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 19th century X
- 1 Amiss, Frederick T., 1866-1942
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beale, William S. (William Steenbergen)
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Breedlove, James W. (James Winchester), 1843-1889
- 1 Carrington, Edward C., Jr. (Edward Codrington)
- 1 Chenoweth, Joseph H. (Joseph Hart), 1837-1862
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Cunningham, Edward, 1841-1904
- 1 Cutshaw, Wilfred E. (Wilfred Emory), 1838-1907
- 1 Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892
- 1 Denegre, John, 1844-1871
- 1 Downing, Samuel, 1842-1885
- 1 Figgat, Charles M. (Charles Miles), ?-1899
- 1 Flowerree, Daniel W. (Daniel Walton), 1838-1878
- 1 Gibbs, Nellie Tracy, 1868-1948
- 1 Gilham, Cordelia Hayden
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Gilliat, John L.
- 1 Gunn, Giles
- 1 Hardin, Mark B. (Mark Bernard), 1838-1916
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 John K. Gilliat and Company (London, England)
- 1 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lyell, John W. (John Warner), 1838-1902
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Maury, Dabney Herndon, 1822-1900
- 1 McDonald, Marshall, 1835-1895
- 1 McGuire, Hunter, 1835-1900
- 1 Mercer, William N. (William Newton)
- 1 Morrison, James H. (James Horace), 1839-1910
- 1 Perry, Sidney R. (Sidney Rawson), 1873-1929
- 1 Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Saunders, James D., 1824-1851
- 1 Saunders, Valentine C. (Valentine Cook), 1820-1894
- 4 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 9 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Strange family
- 1 Strange, John B. (John Bowie), 1823-1862
- 1 Taliaferro, Warner T. (Warner Throckmorton), 1874-1890
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Alumni Association
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Board of Visitors
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Library
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Museum
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of Communications and Marketing
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Chief of Staff
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 4 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Watson, Edward Minor, 1851-1887
- 1 Weddell, William S. (William Sparrow), 1874-1944 ∧ less