Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 29
Scope and Contents Two letters from Cadet Merritt to his father. 1863 Nov. 24, discusses school expenses, mentions the Corps being called to defend against Averell's raids; reports dissatisfaction with VMI (complains of hunger, gets " beef, irish potatoes, milk" only). May 16, 1864 written on the day after the Battle of New Market describes being wounded, action on battlefield, mentions cadets Norborne C. Lewis (Class of 1867) and John A. Crichton (Class of 1866). Letter was possibly written from the Bushong...
Scope and Contents Collection (ca. 20 items) includes letters from Cadet Stanard to his family (1863-1864); telegram concerning Stanard's body; letters from his brother Robert to their mother (1865); 2 essays written at VMI.
Scope and Contents Eight letters and one letter fragment from Cadet Snodgrass to his sister Kate. All dated 1862 and written from VMI. Primary topic is the war and its effect on his family; occasional references to VMI. Mentions that Corps of Cadets has been ordered to aid General Jackson (see April 19, May 1, May 18); says he is "anxious to get a shot at the enemy."
Scope and Contents The John E. Roller Papers consist of personal incoming and outgoing correspondence, 1862-1870, including Civil War era letters from cadet friends concerning life at VMI; Civil War dispatches and telegrams (1864), dating from his service with the Confederate States Engineers, including one document signed by General Robert E. Lee; scrapbook, ca. 1910, containing clippings about Civil War battles, veterans, unit reunions, monument...
Scope and Contents Hanna's diary contains a colorful account of life at VMI and in Lexington during the spring of 1864. Entries begin April 17, 1864 and end May 9, 1864. On May 10, the cadets were called to active duty at the request of Gen. John C. Breckinridge and on May 15 participated in the Battle of New Market. The entries contain comments about VMI activities and people, Lexington social life, and discussion of personal concerns. This volume was picked up by a Union soldier, probably when Union...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 16 letters and one postcard written by John G. James to his friend Samuel Y. Ferguson of Witchita Falls, Texas. Of special interest is the letter of April 17, 1927, in which James describes his memories of witnessing the VMI Corps of Cadets arrival in Richmond, April 1861, under the command of Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson. This same letter contains a brief recollection of James' participation in Jackson's funeral. Other letters contain James family information, political...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 26 letters, bulk 1862-1865, from Mortimer Johnson and his son Porter to members of their immediate family. The Johnson family, originally from West Virginia, moved to Brownsburg in Rockbridge County, Virginia, although they maintained close ties to their former home. Topics in Mortimer's letters include civilian life during the war; the animosity between Union and Confederate sympathizers in West Virginia (the letter of April 28, 1863 discusses the Union loyalty of...
Scope and Contents These files constitute the major record series generated by the office of Francis H. Smith, VMI’s first Superintendent. He served from 1839-1889. The records, (ca. 30 linear feet) consist of incoming and outgoing correspondence, order books, speeches and publications, annual reports, personal file, and subject files.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 2 items: One letter (February 14th, 1862) from Cadet Robert H. Rutherford to his cousin Louisa Henderson Perkins, in which he describes life at VMI and mentions Valentine's Day; and Rutherford's prayer book.
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents Papers consist of two letters (1862) written by Cadet Atwill to his parents, relating anecdotes about life at VMI; one letter (July 1864) from Supt. Francis H. Smith notifying family of Atwill's death; fragment of Atwill's cadet account book. Atwill was thoughtful and religious; his letters also reflect a wonderful sense of humor---they contain amusing anecdotes about wartime cadet life, including a colorful account of cadets stealing chickens from a local farmer in order to supplement the...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Humphreys, J. O.
- 1 Hunter, David
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 2 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Institute Physician
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less