Showing Collections: 21 - 29 of 29
Scope and Contents Thomas A. Stevenson papers, 5 items. Including three letters (1860 Nov. 20; 1861 Feb. 23 and April 19) from Cadet Stevenson (known as Andrew) to his sister Maria, in which he discusses the possibility of war, the celebration of Washington's birthday, and war preparation activities at VMI following the announcement of Virginia's secession. The papers also include one Confederate War Department visitor's pass (1861 Nov. 11) allowing Maria Stevenson to travel to Norfolk; and one letter (27 March...
Scope and Contents One letter (1862 February 17) from Cadet Thomas B. Tredway to his father, William Marshall Tredway of Chatham, VA. Thomas discusses VMI's daily academic routine, the food served to cadets (beef, molasses, bread and butter), regulations, and mentions that the cadets have offered their services to Governor John Letcher.
Scope and Contents Three volume Civil War era diary of Union soldier Uri (possibly Uriah) B. Scofield, who served with the 18th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The diary entries are not detailed, although some information about regimental activities is provided. Volume I (1864) includes the unit's march through the Shenandoah Valley and mentions the burning of the Virginia Military Institute in June 1864.
Scope and Contents The printed portion of the document outlines the proposed training regimen and lists estimated monthly expenses. This particular document was mailed to Christopher Damron, a lawyer in Allegheny County, who had inquired about enrolling his sons (they did not enroll) A handwritten note from VMI's treasurer William S. Polk to Mr. Damron appears at the bottom of the document.
Item — Box: Institute Physician, Folder: Report, 1864
Identifier: RG-04-Physician-1864 Report
Scope and Contents Special report written by VMI Surgeon Robert L. Madison on July 1, 1864 after Hunter's Raid during the Civil War., "Estimating losses sustained by the hospital at the hands of Yankee thieves and incendiaries on June 11, 1864."
Scope and Contents Leave of absence document issued to Cadet Wilberforce Veitch (VMI Class of 1867). Issued from VMI's temporary headquarters at the Alms House in Richmond, Virginia on April 3, 1865, when the Corps was disbanded during the evacuation of the city.
Scope and Contents Two versions of the Civil War memoirs of a Union soldier who served during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864. Unbound manuscript consists of 77 pages, probably written soon after the end of the war.This detailed account of his service includes information about the burning of the Virginia Military Institute by General David Hunter in June 1864; the advance on Lynchburg, Virginia; and his unit's retreat after the Battle of Lynchburg to Charleston and Parkersburg, West...
Scope and Contents Two items. One telegram, dated May 16, 1864, sent by Cadet William N. Radford to his father after the Battle of New Market. Radford states that "I escaped unhurt in the fight yesterday.." One holograph note, May 15, 1864, from Cadet William M. Chalmers to his mother; states that he is unhurt after the battle. Chalmers later married Radford's sister.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of five letters documenting Civil War cadet life (October 1863-May 1864), written by Cadet William T. Yarbrough, VMI Class of 1867. Yarbrough was a member of the New Market Corps who did not take part in the battle due to ill health (he was left at VMI with the guard detail). The letters, addressed to his parents, include references to academics, uniforms, flirting with local girls, and family concerns. The letter dated May 18, 1864 briefly mentions the fact that the...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Humphreys, J. O.
- 1 Hunter, David
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 2 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Institute Physician
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less