Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 47
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 2 items. 1. VMI scrapbook compiled by Cadet George Cooper. Included are photographs, athletic and dance programs, clippings, and other mementos collected by Cooper during his cadetship, 1928-1932. 2. Typescript memoirs, approximately 325 pages, detailing Cooper's Marine Corps Service in the Pacific Theater during World War II. He served with the 2d Combat Engineer Battalion, 2d Marine Division.
Scope and Contents The collection contains one essay and three poems by George S. Patton. The essay (2 pages), ca. 1903, discusses the significance of the VMI Corps' participation in the Battle of New Market (May 1864) and the New Market ceremony; it was probably written during the year Patton attended VMI or shortly thereafter. The typescript original poems are entitled "A Dream" (written in France, 1917, "God of Battles", and "Fear"; the latter two are signed by Patton.
Scope and Contents One certificate presented to VMI Cadet H. Franklin Phillips in May 1943. This "three year testimonial" was presented to each member of the Class of 1944, in lieu of a diploma, when the class members were called to active duty in May 1943. It states that Phillips successfully completed three years at VMI and was signed by VMI Superintendent Charles E. Kilbourne and others.
Contents Note Miscellaneous papers (9 items) dating from the World War II army service of Harold P. Clark, VMI Class of 1941. Included are two personal letters (1946) from Gen. Wither A. Burress to Clark, and 7 snapshots of Clark and other army officers.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of six leather bound diaries containing a record of Ayres life from 1928-1944. Three volumes, 1928-1938 contain detailed information about his activities as a pilot, including a record of flights completed; record of hunting trips; and comments about life in New York City.The subsequent three volumes (1943-1944) contain a record of his World War II service supervising convoys. They include detailed diary entries for this period; descriptions of London life...
Identifier: Maps-Oversized-Iwo Jima
Content Description Map, "Iwo Jima Volcano Islands. Special Air and Gunnery Target Map". Dated 1944 November 12. Used by VMI Alumnus and Marine Corps officer John S. Letcher, who played a prominent role in the battle of Iwo Jima in early 1945. This map is a companion piece to a 3D map model which is in the VMI Museum.
Scope and Contents World War II papers of Lt. Col. J. Claiborn Byrd, who served with the 100th Infantry Division. The papers consist primarily of stateside training materials dating from his attendance at the Infantry School (Ft. Benning, GA, 1942) and the Command and General Staff College course (1943). A few miscellaneous documents date from the 100th Division's service in the European Theater.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of J. Russell Major's World War II papers, primarily letters written to his parents during the period 1942-1945. The early letters covers his training as a Field Artillery officer at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma (1942-1944) and other U. S. bases, including Laurinburg-Maxton Army Air Base (Glider School) and Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. Letters from July 1944-May 1945 date from his service as a forward artillery observer in France and Germany. Other items in the collection include...
Scope and Contents Moss's first diary entry begins on page 13 and is dated September 13, 1943 --- the day his unit departed for overseas duty --- and the last is D-Day, June 6, 1944. During the bulk of this period his unit was in Italy at Anzio Beachhead and vicinity. Moss describes action at Anzio, German air attacks, unit casualities, and other events relating to the military campaign.This book "My Life in the Service" was issued to members of the armed forces.It contains space to enter important...
Scope and Contents One typescript, "Reminiscences of a Keydet Cavalryman" by Col. James L. Morrison, Jr., VMI Class of 1945. Morrison gives a detailed account his years as a cadet participating in ROTC cavalry unit, 1941-1943 and 1945-1947. Subjects include the operation of the unit at VMI; cadet riding activities, including polo; and individuals involved in the programs.
- Subject: World War (1939-1945) X
- 1 Adams, Gordon B.
- 1 Addison, William M. (William Marlborough), 1898-1986
- 1 Anderson, James A., Jr.
- 1 Anderson, Marvin J. (Marvin Judson), 1921-1943
- 1 Arnold, Thomas St. John
- 1 Ayres, Henry Fairfax, 1886-1979
- 1 Bostwick, William C.
- 1 Boyer, Donald P., Jr.
- 1 Brand, William F., Jr.
- 1 Brownley, Claud P., III
- 1 Burress, Withers A. (Withers Alexander), 1894-1977
- 1 Carr, Douglas W.
- 1 Charrington, A. M. Randolph, Jr. (Arthur M. R.)
- 1 Chewning, Charles C.
- 1 Clark, Harold P. (Harold Page), 1921-
- 1 Clement, William T., General
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Cooper, George L. H. (George Lawrence Hawkins), 1911-1984
- 1 Couper, John L. (John Lee), 1916-2000
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Cranford, James R.
- 1 Culpepper, Fred C., Jr.
- 1 Davis, John K. (John Kennerly), 1906-1975
- 1 Deaderick, Robert H.
- 1 Douglas, Wallace S., 1901-1982
- 1 Earle, Robert A. (Robert August), 1906-1991
- 2 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Esser, Jefferson Randolph Cary
- 1 Fosque, George P.
- 1 Foust, Glenn T. (Jim), Jr.
- 1 Gaillard, Charles C.
- 1 Gaillard, Fred E.
- 1 Gatling, Norborne P., Jr.
- 1 George V, King of Great Britain, 1865-1936
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Grant, Joseph H., Jr.
- 1 Gray, Thomas W.
- 1 Hubbard, Mont, Jr., 1910-1968
- 1 Hunter, Charles M.
- 1 Ingles, John S.
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 1 Johnson, J. Pegram, Jr.
- 1 Kibler, A. Franklin (Abram Franklin), 1891-1955
- 2 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Knapp, Jasper W., Jr.
- 1 Letcher, John S.
- 1 Major, J. Russell (James Russell), 1921-
- 1 Manning, Robert J.
- 1 McClure, William G., Jr.
- 1 McCuaig, Duncan R., Dr.
- 1 Monks, John Cherry
- 1 Morrison, James L., Jr. (James Lunsford)
- 1 Moss, James B., Jr., 1924-1998
- 1 Moyer, Frederick M. (Frederick Madison), 1923-1974
- 1 Niess, Richard C. (Richard Charles), 1923-
- 1 Nunn, Arthur B., Jr.
- 2 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Patton, John M., 1921-
- 1 Pendleton, Randolph T. (Randolph Tucker), 1889-1973
- 1 Pettit, Overton B.
- 1 Phillips, H. Franklin, 1921-
- 1 Potts, Allen R.
- 1 Ransone, Toler E.
- 1 Rice, Pete, Jr.
- 1 Richardson, Charles C. (Charles Clement)
- 1 Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- 1 Ruffner, David L. (David Lewis), 1896-1973
- 1 Sheffield, John W.
- 1 Shepherd, Lemuel C., Jr. (Lemuel Cornick)
- 2 Sinclair, Richard B. (Richard Bain), 1908-1996
- 1 Smiley, John W.
- 1 Smith, Millard G., Jr.
- 1 Smith, Otis D. (Otis David), 1913-1992
- 1 Smith, Robert N.
- 1 Smith, Sydney S., Jr.
- 1 Sun, Li Jen, ?-1990
- 1 Tighe, Larry
- 2 Tobey, Nelson W. (Nelson Whitney), 1916-2009
- 2 Tompkins, George J., Jr.
- 1 Traver, Richard E.
- 1 Trice, Ezra B.
- 1 Tucker, John R., Jr.
- 1 Upshur, William P. (William Peterkin), 1881-1943
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Adams Center for Military History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Vivian, William R. (William Rhoads), 1911-2009
- 1 Wentz, Robert W.
- 1 Whitmore, Stanley E.
- 1 Wilhelm, Walter L. R., Jr. ∧ less