Showing Collections: 21 - 30 of 47
Scope and Contents This collection contains miscellaneous papers of John C. Monks, Jr. Included are some materials relating to the theatrical production of "Brother Rat" (contract; original script; receipts for services from Garson Kanin); items concerning various VMI Class of 1932 reunions; photographs; and the typescript manuscript (1944) of the book "A Ribbon and A Star. The Third Marines at Bougainville" published in 1945.
Scope and Contents The John K. Davis papers consist of original propaganda leaflets directed at the Japanese troops and civilians, 1945; personal correspondence written to his parents and largely concerning family matters, 1945-1946; formal photographs of Davis from his cadetship, Army career, and civilian career; amateur snapshots of Manila and surrounding area, ca. 1945; maps of Japanese cities issued to officers, 1945; "Guide to Japan", September 1945; and miscellaneous other printed material.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence (to parents and other family) and two photograph albums documenting service during World War II; the bulk is dated 1942-1946. The letters cover a wide range of topics, including training in Great Britain, field hospital operations in Europe, and comments about daily aspects of war. The photographs document the unit's movements, staff, and activities in England, France and Belgium. In addition, the papers include a photograph album (1936-1937) dating from his...
Scope and Contents The Lemuel C. Shepherd Papers consist primarily of unpublished memoirs and accompanying documents; photograph albums and scrapbooks dating from Shepherd's years as a VMI cadet, as Commandant of the Marine Corps, and from his service as President of the Inter-American Defense Board; an interview with General Shepherd conducted by the archivist of the MacArthur Library regarding Shepherd's role during the Korean War - assault at Inchon; miscellaneous correspondence; clippings; certificates and...
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents The collection consists of documents and photographs (ca. 120 items) from the military career of U.S. Army General Leonard Townsend Gerow (b. 1888 d.1972). It includes correspondence with General Dwight D. Eisenhower,autobiographical material, speeches (1945-1948), and photographs. Material complementary to this collection is located in his student/alumni file, also located in the VMI Archives.
Contents Note Miscellaneous World War II items (1940-1945) from the estate of General Li Jen Sun, VMI Class of 1927. 9 photographs (black and white matte) showing Gen Sun with various allied commanders, including Douglas MacArthur, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and George S. Patton; 3 color photographs of Sun's medals; 1 book owned by Sun "The Chinese Army in India-Burma Campaign."Addition, 2016. Presentation book, "Pictorial Biography of Ever Victorious General of...
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers relate to Anderson's army career. They include flight training documents, photographs, misc. other army records, and a file of documents pertaining to his death and burial.
Scope and Contents The oral history collection spans the World War II era through recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. One interview (Frank Buckles) covers World War I service. The majority of the interviews were conducted by VMI cadets taking courses in military history. The interview files and recordings are housed in the VMI Archives.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of six items. Three items document Virginia Military Institute cadet life, 1928-1929. Included are a letter from Cadet Mont Hubbard, VMI Class of 1932, to his friend Nina Pruett, in which he mentions various events at VMI; a VMI postcard "line saver for overworked keydets" and a VMI Easter card. The last two items were also mailed to Miss Pruett. Also included are two annotated maps used by Col. Mont Hubbard during World War II. A map of France and...
- Subject: World War (1939-1945) X
- 1 Adams, Gordon B.
- 1 Addison, William M. (William Marlborough), 1898-1986
- 1 Anderson, James A., Jr.
- 1 Anderson, Marvin J. (Marvin Judson), 1921-1943
- 1 Arnold, Thomas St. John
- 1 Ayres, Henry Fairfax, 1886-1979
- 1 Bostwick, William C.
- 1 Boyer, Donald P., Jr.
- 1 Brand, William F., Jr.
- 1 Brownley, Claud P., III
- 1 Burress, Withers A. (Withers Alexander), 1894-1977
- 1 Carr, Douglas W.
- 1 Charrington, A. M. Randolph, Jr. (Arthur M. R.)
- 1 Chewning, Charles C.
- 1 Clark, Harold P. (Harold Page), 1921-
- 1 Clement, William T., General
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Cooper, George L. H. (George Lawrence Hawkins), 1911-1984
- 1 Couper, John L. (John Lee), 1916-2000
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Cranford, James R.
- 1 Culpepper, Fred C., Jr.
- 1 Davis, John K. (John Kennerly), 1906-1975
- 1 Deaderick, Robert H.
- 1 Douglas, Wallace S., 1901-1982
- 1 Earle, Robert A. (Robert August), 1906-1991
- 2 Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- 1 Esser, Jefferson Randolph Cary
- 1 Fosque, George P.
- 1 Foust, Glenn T. (Jim), Jr.
- 1 Gaillard, Charles C.
- 1 Gaillard, Fred E.
- 1 Gatling, Norborne P., Jr.
- 1 George V, King of Great Britain, 1865-1936
- 1 Gerow, Leonard Townsend, 1888-1972
- 1 Grant, Joseph H., Jr.
- 1 Gray, Thomas W.
- 1 Hubbard, Mont, Jr., 1910-1968
- 1 Hunter, Charles M.
- 1 Ingles, John S.
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 1 Johnson, J. Pegram, Jr.
- 1 Kibler, A. Franklin (Abram Franklin), 1891-1955
- 2 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Knapp, Jasper W., Jr.
- 1 Letcher, John S.
- 1 Major, J. Russell (James Russell), 1921-
- 1 Manning, Robert J.
- 1 McClure, William G., Jr.
- 1 McCuaig, Duncan R., Dr.
- 1 Monks, John Cherry
- 1 Morrison, James L., Jr. (James Lunsford)
- 1 Moss, James B., Jr., 1924-1998
- 1 Moyer, Frederick M. (Frederick Madison), 1923-1974
- 1 Niess, Richard C. (Richard Charles), 1923-
- 1 Nunn, Arthur B., Jr.
- 2 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945
- 1 Patton, John M., 1921-
- 1 Pendleton, Randolph T. (Randolph Tucker), 1889-1973
- 1 Pettit, Overton B.
- 1 Phillips, H. Franklin, 1921-
- 1 Potts, Allen R.
- 1 Ransone, Toler E.
- 1 Rice, Pete, Jr.
- 1 Richardson, Charles C. (Charles Clement)
- 1 Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- 1 Ruffner, David L. (David Lewis), 1896-1973
- 1 Sheffield, John W.
- 1 Shepherd, Lemuel C., Jr. (Lemuel Cornick)
- 2 Sinclair, Richard B. (Richard Bain), 1908-1996
- 1 Smiley, John W.
- 1 Smith, Millard G., Jr.
- 1 Smith, Otis D. (Otis David), 1913-1992
- 1 Smith, Robert N.
- 1 Smith, Sydney S., Jr.
- 1 Sun, Li Jen, ?-1990
- 1 Tighe, Larry
- 2 Tobey, Nelson W. (Nelson Whitney), 1916-2009
- 2 Tompkins, George J., Jr.
- 1 Traver, Richard E.
- 1 Trice, Ezra B.
- 1 Tucker, John R., Jr.
- 1 Upshur, William P. (William Peterkin), 1881-1943
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Adams Center for Military History
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Vivian, William R. (William Rhoads), 1911-2009
- 1 Wentz, Robert W.
- 1 Whitmore, Stanley E.
- 1 Wilhelm, Walter L. R., Jr. ∧ less