Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Scope and Contents The bulk of the material is in French and chronicles Crozet's early years in France prior to his move to the United States in 1816. Included are letters and military orders; discourses on linguistics and grammar; papers pertaining to his marriage and family, and mementos relating to his daughter, Adele, who died in 1830. In addition, the collection contains two letters from Thomas Jefferson to Crozet, both dated 1821. The...
Scope and Contents A collection of research materials compiled by historian Edwin L. Dooley, Jr. The bulk concerns the history of the Ecole Polytechnique and includes transcriptions of minutes of the "Council of Instruction and Administration of th Ecole Polytechnique" [Governing Board], 1794-1799; related research files; biographical information about individuals connected with the school; books; correspondence between Dooley and Ecole officials; and copies of manuscripts. The collection also contains material...
Contents Note Bulk consists of edited typescript and illustrations for Hunter's book, Claudius Crozet (University of Virginia Press, 1989). The book was co-authored by Edwin L. Dooley. Also typescript of article "The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1816-1860."
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers of Thomas T. Munford, including three personal letters from Munford: 1861 April 18 to Charles Ellis, discussing the outbreak of war; 1864 May 9 to George P. Tayloe, his father-in-law, discussing the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House; May 21 1865 to Sallie Munford, his niece, expressing sadness caused by the South's defeat. Other papers include a photostat of Munford's Special Orders No. 6 dated 1865 April 25; the architecture textbook used by Munford during his cadetship...
Overview The papers consist largely of manuscripts (drafts, galleys, proofs), notes, and other research material relating to Couper's interest in the history of Lexington and Rockbridge County (Virginia), the Virginia Military Institute, and the Shenandoah Valley. Other topics include the construction of Fort Jackson, South Carolina in 1917, and General Stonewall Jackson.
- Names: Crozet, Claudius, 1790-1864 X
- 1 Ecole polytechnique (France) -- History
- 2 Engineers -- France -- Biography
- 1 Lexington (Va.) -- History
- 1 New Market (Va.), Battle of, 1864
- 1 Rockbridge County (Va.) -- History
- 1 Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History
- 1 South Carolina -- Fort Jackson
- 1 Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864
- 1 Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery (Lexington, Va.)
- 1 University of Virginia
- 1 Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet drawings
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1850-1859
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1852
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1904
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Curricula
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty -- Publications
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History ∧ less