Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Identifier: RG-01-Correspondence-Preston - Smith
Scope and Contents Correspondence between Francis H. Smith, who became VMI's first Superintendent, and John T. L. Preston relating to the organization and opening of VMI. Includes four letters from Preston to Smith; and one letter from Smith to Preston, in which he accepts the job offered by the Board of Visitors to serve as Superintendent (originally called Principal Professor). One related letter is from Francis H. Smith to William Atkinson or Atkison, in which Smith asks for advice about VMI's job...
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous personal papers of John T. L. Preston including a farm account book (1834-1887), bills, deeds, memoranda, receipts, and correspondence. The majority of the papers relate to Preston's personal financial and property (land) transactions and do not involve his work at VMI. Noteable items found in the the papers include a letter (1863 April 24) to Gen. Stonewall Jackson (to whom he was related by marriage) in which Preston discusses religious and financial matters; a...
- Names: Preston, John Thomas Lewis, 1811-1890 X
- 1 Commencement ceremonies
- 1 Correspondence
- 1 New Market Cadets
- 1 Records (documents)
- 1 Speeches, addresses, etc.
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Board of Visitors
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1860-1869
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1869
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Faculty -- Biography
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Finals -- 19th century