Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Identifier: RG-06-Publications-Reports of the Superintendent
Scope and Contents The annual reports of the Superintendent contain a detailed account of the activities for each academic year. The 19th century through mid-20th century reports are an excellent primary source for exploring the administrative and academic history of the Institute. In addition to annual reports, special reports were occasionally issued to provide details about specific topics; and "semi-annual" reports were published during parts of the 19th century to provide the results of mid-year...
Scope and Contents Superintendents' correspondence file containing a small number of letters from or relating to notable individuals, including U. S. Presidents. Includes Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy (telegram announcing death), Ronald Reagan, John Glenn, Franklin Roosevelt.
Scope and Contents Correspondence, 1840-1918, originating in the Superintendent's office, unrelated to any other records series. Primarily about purchases and business transactions, and miscellaneous file.
Scope and Contents Newsletters, circulars and other mass mailings created by the Office of the Superintendent. These include the annual newsletter to parents. These mailings began with General Nichols and the frequency/subject varies among administrations.
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Board of Visitors
Scope and Contents These records consist of one chronological file, 1909-1953, primarily containing Superintendent's working reports and memoranda to the Board of Visitors; some annotations. In addition, there are Superintendent's copies of BOV meeting packets for Gen. Shell and Irby; some with annotations.
Identifier: RG-02-Subject Files-Inaugurations
Scope and Contents Records relating to the inaugural ceremonies or assumption of command events for the various Superintendents. In recent administations there have not been elaborate inaugural ceremonies.
Scope and Contents Records of the administration of VMI Superintendent Charles E. Kilbourne. Includes correspondence, biographical information, speeches and related Institute official records, 1937-1946. These records cover the World War II era at VMI.
Scope and Contents Official records of the Edward W. Nichols Administration, 1907-1924. Includes official correspondence, annual reports, and other material documenting Nichols's years as Superintendent.
Scope and Contents These files constitute the major record series generated by the office of Francis H. Smith, VMI’s first Superintendent. He served from 1839-1889. The records, (ca. 30 linear feet) consist of incoming and outgoing correspondence, order books, speeches and publications, annual reports, personal file, and subject files.
Scope and Contents Official records of the George R. E. Shell administration, including correspondence, annual reports, and related papers/records for the period 1961-1970.
- Names: Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent. X
- 1 Annual Reports
- 1 Circular letters
- 1 College presidents -- Inauguration
- 1 Conferences and Symposia
- 1 Correspondence
- 1 Military education -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- 1 Military schools -- Southern States
- 1 Newsletters
- 11 Virginia Military Institute -- Administration
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Board of Visitors
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 19th century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 20th century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 21st century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1859
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1878
- 2 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1894
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1915
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1920
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1931
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- Class of 1939
- 4 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 19th century
- 11 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 20th century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 21st century
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- 1 Virginia Military Institute -- History -- World War, 1939-1945
- 2 Virginia Military Institute -- Special Events
- 1 World War (1914-1918) ∧ less