Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Scope and Contents The collection consists of drawings by Cadet Albert Z. Conner, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1966, including 21 sketches of various VMI scenes and one sketchbook containing illustrations used in the 1966 publication "The VMI Coloring Book".
Scope and Contents A collection of 19th century cadet drawings (approximately 200 items) completed primarily as assignments for Professor Thomas H. Williamson's architecture, engineering, and drawing courses at the Virginia Military Institute. A few of the drawings were completed for a geometry course and other mathematics courses, or were not class assignments.Some of the geometry drawings are signed by the supervising professors, including e.g. Superintendent Francis H. Smith, who also...
Scope and Contents The collection consists primarily of ca. 20 items from John H. Kyle's VMI cadetship (1919-1923), including a scrapbook, grade reports, sketchbook with pencil drawings of cadets and cartoons depicting VMI life, and photographs. Also miscellaneous documents from 1923-1937, including a letter from Frank McCarthy, Class of 1933.
Scope and Contents A collection of 17 watercolor and pen/ink drawings by Cadet Levin J. Houston. Several of the drawings were featured in the cadet magazine known as "The Sniper", published during the 1920's.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two sketchbooks (1897 & 1914) ca. 20 pages each, containing pencil drawings by Mary Wilson Irwin. No information about the artist is available. Subjects include the Virginia Military Institute; Washington and Lee University; Lexington, Virginia scenes; children. Some drawings bear inscription "MWI" and/or short description.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of noted 19th century sculptor Moses Jacob Ezekiel. Included is correspondence to Virginia Military Institute Superintendent Edward West Nichols and others, 1867- 1917, some relating to the design of the Battle of New Market memorial sculpture Virginia Mourning Her Dead; pen and ink sketches by Ezekiel (ca. 67 items); a typescript version of Ezekiel's autobiography, Memoirs from the Baths of Diocletian and miscellaneous printed material.
Scope and Contents The collection contains 18 pencil and ink drawings by VMI Cadet Richard T. Goodwyn; and one letter (1896 March 28) from VMI Superintendent Scott Shipp to Goodwyn.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers, approximately 30 items, of Robert E. B. Stewart. The collection includes a notebook containing orations delivered before VMI cadet debating societies; drawings completed as class assignments at VMI; and a few clippings concerning his life after he left the Institute.
Scope and Contents Papers consist of Jerdone's handwritten mathematics examination essay (64 pages) submitted to Professor James W. Massie; the topic is "Analysis of Analytical Geometry", dated 1868 Dec. 28. Also 25 drawings completed as class assignments at VMI.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the notebook (ca. 165 pages) of VMI Cadet William Neill, containing copied and possibly original poetry; and one watercolor sketch (10" x 7.5") of barracks room number 38, drawn by Neill and dated October 1877.
- Subject: Drawings (visual works) X
- 1 Allen, Robert C. (Robert Clotworthy), 1834-1863
- 1 Bargamin, Eugene V. (Eugene Victor), 1835-1860
- 1 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Blair, Henry W. (Henry Wayne), 1851-1884
- 1 Blair, Robert S., 1835-1902
- 1 Boyd, Thomas M. (Thomas Massie), 1838-1894
- 1 Briggs, A. Sidney, 1902-1988
- 1 Brockenbrough, William A. (William Austin), 1836-1896
- 1 Carson, Robert P. (Robert Preston), 1832-1924
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Conner, Albert Z., 1943-
- 1 Cooke, Giles B. (Giles Buckner), 1838-1937
- 1 Dodson, John E. (John Edward), 1845-1863
- 1 Ezekiel, Moses Jacob, 1844-1917
- 1 Galloway, Thomas S. (Thomas Spraggin), 1840-1903
- 1 Goodwyn, Richard T. (Richard Tuggle), 1866-1952
- 1 Hardy, Charles W. (Charles Wesley), 1836-1871
- 1 Hardy, Edward M. (Edward Mohun), 1840-1882
- 1 Harris, Nicholas C. (Nicholas Cobbs), 1837-1898
- 1 Hawkins, Norment D. (Norment Doniphan), 1849-1931
- 1 Henry, William B. (William Byrd), 1875-1916
- 1 Hill, A. Govan (Archibald Govan), 1839-1914
- 1 Holt, Charles A. (Charles Asbury), 1836-1908
- 1 Houston, Levin J. (Levin James), 1905-1990
- 1 Irwin, Mary Wilson
- 1 Jerdone, William M. (William Macon), 1848-1900
- 1 Kemble, William E. (William Elkanah), 1831-1896
- 1 Kyle, John H. (John Holmes), 1901-1984
- 1 Lovell, William, 1834-1892
- 1 McCarthy, Frank, 1912-1986
- 1 McCausland, John, 1836-1927
- 1 Mears, Levin W., 1838-1862
- 1 Miller, Julius G. (Julius Gordon), 1839-1908
- 1 Morton, Osmond S. (Osmond Summers), 1845-1920
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Park, William K., 1840-1865
- 1 Patton, Waller T. (Waller Tazewell), 1835-1863
- 1 Pegram, John C. (John Cargill), 1838-1864
- 1 Pollard, Richard, 1829-1908
- 1 Ross, George, 1838-1926
- 2 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Slaughter, Philip P. (Philip Peyton), 1834-1893
- 1 Smith, Edward L. (Edward Livingston), 1835-1859
- 1 Stewart, Robert E. B. (Robert Edward Bruce), 1863-1901
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Waring, John L. (John Lancaster), 1848-1942
- 1 Warren, James A. (James Albert), 1856-1879
- 1 Williams, Lewis B. (Lewis Burwell), 1833-1863
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888 ∧ less