Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents Two letters (1862 and 1870) written by Confederate Brigadier General Isaac R. Trimble. The first, dated July 24, 1862 and addressed to "Genl." (possibly to Stonewall Jackson), reports that he has occupied Manassas, captured guns and stores, and taken prisoners. The second item, dated October 1870, declines an invitation to a fair.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (1862-1891, 5 items) of Confederate General John D. Imboden. One document dates from the Civil War and concerns the subpoena of witnesses for the trial of a man accused of collaborating with enemy; letter to Col. Abram Fulkerson (June 21, 1889) pertaining to donation of Lt. Col. W. S. Lincoln's field glasses to VMI; the other documents are dated post-war and pertain to various personal and business matters.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (8 items), primarily post-Civil War, of Confederate General Jubal A. Early. Included is a dispatch to Maj. Hawks dated January 8, 1864, in which Imboden informs him "I shall not move to the lower valley-there is nothing to be gained by it."
Scope and Contents A collection of approximately 50 miscellaneous unrelated manuscripts (1744-1908; bulk 19th century. The items, primarily autograph letters, were purchased at various times by the Foundation; many date from the Civil War of bear the signatures of Civil War era notables.
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (3 items) of Richard S. Ewell. Includes a letter written while he was a cadet at West Point (June 17, 1838) to Benjamin S. Ewell of York, PA; and 2 Civil War dispatches (1862 and 1864). The collection also contains a map fo the Cedar Mountain battlefield drawn by Gen. Ewell.
Scope and Contents Bulk consists of miscellaneous papers of Robert E. Lee and Mary Curtis Lee, including documents bearing their signatures. Also, one letter (1926) from Mrs. William A. Anderson to Sydney B. Williamson relating the history of a quilt made by Mrs. Lee that was donated to the VMI Museum.In addition, there is one letter from Henry Lee III (Light Horse Harry), the father of Robert E. Lee, dated July 7, 1779. ...
Overview The Stonewall Jackson Papers consist primarily of Jackson's outgoing personal correspondence for the years 1844-1860. The collection also contains a relatively small number of Civil War era papers, as well as the papers of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, his second wife, and papers of the Arnold family.
- Subject: Generals -- Confederate States of America X
- 1 Adams, Louisa Catherine, 1775-1852
- 1 Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss, 1816-1894
- 1 Bayly, Thomas M., 1775-1834
- 1 Cabell, Mayo
- 1 Christian, Julia Jackson
- 1 Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898
- 1 Douglas, Henry Kyd, 1838-1903
- 1 Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894
- 1 Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817-1872
- 1 Forrer, Samuel
- 1 Hancock, Winfield Scott, 1824-1886
- 1 Hill, Daniel Harvey, 1821-1899
- 1 Hotchkiss family
- 1 Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887
- 1 Imboden, John D. (John Daniel), 1823-1895
- 1 Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915
- 1 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Johnson, Bradley T. (Bradley Tyler), 1829-1903
- 2 Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891
- 1 Kemper, James Lawson, 1823-1895
- 1 Key, Francis Scott, 1779-1843
- 1 Lee, Mary Custis, 1835-1918
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Mosby, John Singleton, 1833-1916
- 1 Noyes, Edward F. (Edward Follansbee), 1832-1890
- 1 Pope, John, 1822-1892
- 1 Preston, Margaret Junkin, 1820-1897
- 1 Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888
- 1 Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891
- 1 Slidell, John, 1793-1871
- 1 Taylor, Richard, 1826-1879
- 1 Trimble, Isaac Ridgeway, 1802-1888
- 1 White, William S. (William Spottswood), 1800-1873 ∧ less