Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents One letter, 1884, appointing Carl M. Best a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute; and one letter of recommendation, 1886, written for Best by VMI Superintendent Francis H. Smith.
Scope and Contents One letter from Thomas B. Robinson (VMI Class of 1856 and faculty member) recommending Cadet Francis S. Johnson for service in the Confederate Army. The letter is dated March 20, 1865.
Scope and Contents Papers, 3 items, of John M. Cary, consisting of appointment to a state cadetship at VMI (July 1845); Cary's letter of acceptance (July 8, 1845); and one letter of recommendation by Board of Visitors member William H. Terrill, dated Sept. 19, 1849. Cary had served as a tutor for Terrill's children.
Contents Note Miscellaneous papers, 1900-1928, of John M. Luke. The papers consist of 4 letters of recommendation from VMI Faculty members; 1 letter from VMI Superintendent William H. Cocke to Luke; commissioning certificate (oath of office), Oct. 1918; and one VMI dance card.
Scope and Contents One letter (September 18, 1847) from VMI Superintendent Francis H. Smith to Gen. E. C. Carrington, recommending an army commission for John P. Bowyer. Bowyer had volunteered for service in the Mexican War, in which he subsequently served.
Scope and Contents One letter of recommendation written on behalf of John Waddy by Superintendent Francis H. Smith. Smith recommends him for a commission in the U.S. Army. Dated October 27, 1856.
Scope and Contents 17 letters of recommendation written on behalf of Mason G. Ellzey, including 7 letters (1867) recommending him for a position at the University of Virginia; and 10 letters (1872-1873) recommending him for a position at the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College at Blacksburg (now Virginia Tech).
- Subject: Letters of recommendation X
- 1 Best, Carl M. (Carl Mead), 1861-1922
- 1 Bowyer, John P. (John Preston), 1829?-1849
- 1 Cary, John M. (John Mathews), 1829-1853
- 1 Ellzey, Mason G. (Mason Graham), 1838-1915
- 1 Johnson, Francis S. (Francis Smith), 1847-1902
- 1 Luke, John M. (John Marvin), 1880-1951
- 1 Robinson, Thomas B. (Thomas Beverly), 1836-1895
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Terrill, William H. (William Henry), 1800-1877
- 1 Waddy, John R. (John Robinson), 1834-1903