Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 28
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Scope and Contents Civil War correspondence of Confederate soldier Andrew J. McCoy, consisting of 3 letters (1863 October 25; 1864 Jan 16 fragment; 1864 March 11) to his sister Martha written while he was serving with the 25th Virginia Infantry Regiment. The letters were written from camps in Culpepper County and Orange County, Virginia. They primarily concern family matters, camp hardships, and personal news, and provide insight into the life and thoughts of an ordinary soldier.
Scope and Contents A collection (1845-1928; bulk dated 1860-1865) of correspondence, photographs, and miscellaneous documents of R. Henry Campbell and members of the Varner family of Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. Includes Civil War letters of soldiers R. Henry Campbell (1861 April-July) and Charles V. Varner (1864, 1865). The letters were written while they were serving with the Rockbridge Rifles (part of the 4th, 5th, and 27th Virginia Infantry regiments at various dates during the war). Significant...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one page Civil War letter, dated 1865 March 17, from Headquarters, Artillery Defenses, Richmond, Virginia. The letter was written by Confederate officer Lt. Col. Charles E. Lightfoot to Colonel Benjamin S. Ewell, brother and staff officer to General Richard S. Ewell. Lightfoot asks for a clarification of command responsibility for Richmond's artillery defenses, stating that the present command situation places him in conflict with Lt. Col. Carter M. Braxton. General...
Scope and Contents One letter (1865 March 28) from Charles W. Turner to Major Garnett Andrews, commander of the 2nd Foreign Battalion. Turner discussions his commission, other soldiers, and asks to be appointed 1st Lieutenant in Andrews' unit.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of three letters written to Coleman's sister Lucy during the Civil War, and an autograph album containing inscriptions written by his classmates at VMI, the University of Virginia, and the Medical College of Virginia, ca. 1858-61. The letter of September 17, 1862, from Winchester, Virginia, discusses the Battle of Antietam and caring for wounded; November 4, 1862, Winchester, Virginia, discusses hospitals and care of wounded, General George Steuart, movement of Longstreet's...
Scope and Contents Letter, dated 11 May 1863, from Confederate soldier D.E.W. Myers to his brother and sister. The letter was written from "Camp Near Hamilton's Crossing" after the Battle of Chancellorsville; topics include death of Gen. Stonewall Jackson. Myers served as a Sergeant with the 33rd Virginia Infantry Regiment.
Scope and Contents 2 letters, 1864, regarding members of the Dunlap family of Jennings Gap, Augusta Co., Virginia. May 20th, 1864--Confederate soldier Robert B. Dunlap to his mother Margaret Dunlap, written from camp near Spotsylvania Courthouse; describes aftermath of battle, seeing battlefield covered with dead and wounded. July 13, 1864, Adam Dunlap, a Union loyalist, to his brother Robert, from Warnsburg, Missouri; discusses murder of their brother Jim (also a Union loyalist) by a member of his own unit;...
Scope and Contents The collection consists Civil War papers (8 items, all dated 1861), including two commission documents, extracts from orders, a letter from Governor John Letcher ordering Boykin to proceed to Grafton and communicate with Col. Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall), one letter bearing the signature of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of correspondence and other material relating to three members of the Fulkerson family: Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1822-1862); his brother, Abram Fulkerson, Jr. (1834-1902); and Abram"s son, Samuel Vance Fulkerson (1863-1926). Significant items are Civil War letters (March-May 1862) written by Samuel V. Fulkerson; Samuel's reports of the Battle of McDowell and the Battle of Winchester, May and June 1862; 3 ...
- Subject: Soldiers -- Virginia -- Correspondence X
- 1 Andrews, Garnett, 1837-1903
- 1 Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862
- 1 Baldwin, John B.
- 1 Bentley, William W. (William Weldon), 1839-1924
- 1 Boykin, Francis M. (Francis Marshall), 1837-1906
- 1 Brooke Family
- 1 Brooke, Samuel S. (Samuel Selden), 1841-1918
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Coleman, Clayton G. (Clayton Glanville), 1840-1908
- 1 Dedrick, Henry H., 1836?-1921
- 1 Dedrick, Mary E. A.
- 1 Dunlap Family
- 1 Dunlap, Adam B.
- 1 Dunlap, Robert B. (Robert Bailey), 1843-1934
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Ervine, John H. (John Hamilton), 1831-1917
- 1 Ewell, Benjamin S.
- 1 Fulkerson, Abram, 1834-1902
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1822-1862
- 1 Fulkerson, Samuel V. (Samuel Vance), 1863-1926
- 1 Garibaldi, John, 1831-1914
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Hardy, William T. (William Thomas), 1834-1911
- 1 Harris, Sutton I.
- 1 Henkel Family
- 1 Henkel, David H., 1839?-
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jameson, James H. (James Henry), 1820-1864
- 1 Kagey, David F., 1834?-
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Langhorne, Jacob K. (Jacob Kent), 1845-1863
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 2 Letcher, John, 1813-1884
- 1 Lightfoot, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1834-1878
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Martin, R. Emmett
- 1 Massie, James W. (James Woods), 1826-1872
- 1 Massie, Sophonisba Breckinridge
- 1 McCoy, Andrew J.
- 1 Myers, Derastus E. W.
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Rinker, Michael F.
- 1 Steuart, George H. (George Hume), 1828-1903
- 1 Terrill, James B. (James Barbour), 1838-1864
- 1 Turner, Charles W. (Charles William), 1846-1907
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 1 Williamson family
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Williamson, [I]. D. ∧ less