Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 26
Scope and Contents Papers from the VMI cadetship of Alexander D. Exall, Class of 1876. The collection includes a cadet scrapbook containing clippings and poetry; an autograph album containing inscriptions from his classmates; 3 photographs of Cadet Exall; and the French/English dictionary he used at VMI.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the miscellaneous papers of three members of the Barton family who attended the Virginia Military Institute during the mid-19th century. Papers relating to Cadet Charles M. Barton (VMI Class of 1856) include a letter dated September 28, 1855 from Charles to his cousin Joseph M. Barton, in which he complains about VMI life and about his instructor Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jackson is described as a "hell of a fool"). Other Charles Barton material is found in a...
Scope and Contents The collection contains three notebooks, two miscellaneous documents, and an annotated analytical geometry text that belonged to Virginia Military Institute Cadet Edward C. Shepherd during his years as a VMI student, 1851-1855. The first notebook contains approximately 50 pen and ink, hand-tinted drawings by Shepherd; these were completed as assignments for VMI courses and some bear the signature of Superintendent Francis H. Smith (" Examined correct, F.H. Smith"). This book also includes a...
Scope and Contents Notebook containing original poetry by Cadet Francis B. Clark, Jr., including "Natural Bridge","To the Lee Family", and "Washington and Lee". The collection also contains one privately printed poem "The Irish Emigrant."
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous papers (6 items) of Hardaway H. Dinwiddie, including manuscript of VMI valedictory speech, 1867; "phrenological analysis" 1858; calling card; poems about the New Market Cadets; certificate of withdrawal from Lexington's Masonic Lodge, 1868; and 1867 VMI commencement program.
Scope and Contents Notebook compiled by VMI Cadet Howard Osburn, containing copied poetry, miscellaneous orders, anecdote concerning Benjamin Ficklin, Class of 1849. 125 pages; binding not intact.
Scope and Contents The collection includes the notebook compiled by Cadet James A. Forsythe, containing, copied poetry and company rosters; and the graduation bible presented to Cadet Forsythe. The notebook shows evidence of extensive water damage. Forsythe's photograph album is also available in the VMI Archives.
Scope and Contents Student notebook owned by VMI Cadet John T. B. Cocke, Virginia Military Institute Class of 1890. The volume contains copied poetry, civil engineering class notes, and list of roommate in Room 18 of Barracks, 1889-1890.
Scope and Contents The John L. Cochran Papers consist of a report card (1879) from the secondary school Cochran attended before entering the Virginia Military Institute; one letter (September 4, 1880) from VMI Cadet Cochran to his mother; a diary, with sketches (1881), containing short and sporadic entries made while he was a student at the Virginia Military Institute and concerning various aspects of cadet life; and four volumes of class notes (1882-1885) taken while Cochran was a student at Swarthmore College...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of four items dating from his cadetship: A one volume notebook containing copied poetry and miscellaneous notes; two essays; and his VMI account book documenting school expenses, 1846-1849.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet compositions -- Poetry X
- 1 Arnold, William E. (William Elisha), 1830-1902
- 1 Barksdale, Thomas F. (Thomas Flournoy), 1833-1902
- 1 Barton Family
- 1 Barton, Bolling W. (Bolling Walter), 1845-1924
- 1 Barton, Charles M. (Charles Marshall), 1836-1862
- 1 Barton, Randolph, 1844-1921
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 2 Blackburn, Tom, 1834-1854
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Carpenter, Joseph H. (Joseph Hannah), 1834-1863
- 1 Carter, Spencer L. (Spencer Leslie), 1873-1950
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cochran, John L. (John Lynn), 1863-1887
- 1 Cocke, John T. B., 1870-1951
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Dinwiddie, Hardaway H. (Hardaway Hunt), 1844-1887
- 1 Echols, John, 1823-1896
- 1 Exall, Alexander D. (Alexander Duval), 1853-1928
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Galt, William, 1841-1864
- 1 Gatewood, Robert, 1829-1909
- 1 Gibbs, Philip C. (Philip Cromwell), 1831-1859
- 1 Gordon, William M. (William Milburn), 1830-1907
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Hempstead, Junius L. (Junius Lackland), 1842-1920
- 1 Hubard, William J. (William James), 1845-1917
- 4 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Karnes, Benjamin
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Shepherd, Edward C. (Edward Clarence), 1835-1907
- 3 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 2 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Steenbergen, John W., 1831-1916
- 1 Thompson, John A. (John Addy), 1832-1867
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 2 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928
- 1 Yager, William O. (William Overall), 1833-1904 ∧ less