Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 21
Scope and Contents Papers from the VMI cadetship of Alexander D. Exall, Class of 1876. The collection includes a cadet scrapbook containing clippings and poetry; an autograph album containing inscriptions from his classmates; 3 photographs of Cadet Exall; and the French/English dictionary he used at VMI.
Scope and Contents One letter, ca. 1871, written from VMI by Cadet Johnston, Class of 1872, to his mother. The bulk of the letter concerns family matters.
Scope and Contents VMI account book of Cadet Edward C. Laird (VMI Class of 1875), of Boydton, Virginia. Contains entries for cadet expenses, 1872-1875.
Scope and Contents Notebook containing original poetry by Cadet Francis B. Clark, Jr., including "Natural Bridge","To the Lee Family", and "Washington and Lee". The collection also contains one privately printed poem "The Irish Emigrant."
Scope and Contents The George S. Patton account book contains a listing of school expenses incurred while Patton was a cadet at the Virginia Military Institute, 1873-1877.
Scope and Contents Notebook compiled by VMI Cadet Howard Osburn, containing copied poetry, miscellaneous orders, anecdote concerning Benjamin Ficklin, Class of 1849. 125 pages; binding not intact.
Scope and Contents The collection includes the notebook compiled by Cadet James A. Forsythe, containing, copied poetry and company rosters; and the graduation bible presented to Cadet Forsythe. The notebook shows evidence of extensive water damage. Forsythe's photograph album is also available in the VMI Archives.
Scope and Contents Six letters from John B. Mosby to family members. Those dated 1870-1871 concern family matters; the letters written in 1873 from VMI contain references to faculty, academics, and cadet life (ice skating on river). The collection also includes a grade report for April 1872.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of 14 letters written by VMI Cadet John Sims (Class of 1871), to members of his family. Dated 1868-1871, the correspondence provides rich details of cadet life during that era, as well as containing personal news. Sims mentions many leisure activities --a traveling theater troupe, baseball vs. Washington and Lee University Lee, debating societies, ice skating--as well commenting on academic life and routine events. The letter dated October 17, 1870 mentions viewing the body...
Scope and Contents Poetry notebook compiled by Cadet Julien A. Hall (Virginia Military Institute Class of 1879) in 1875-1876. Such notebooks were popular among cadets of the mid to late 19th century. They typically contain VMI-related poetry, often not written by the notebook's owner, as well as misc. other poetry and notes.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- Cadet life -- 1870-1879 X
- 1 Beverley, Robert, 1858-1928
- 1 Boney, Richard K. (Richard Kinsey), 1858-1937
- 1 Caruthers, Smith
- 1 Clark, Francis B. (Francis Barnard), 1850-1896
- 1 Cooper, Samuel M.
- 1 Dudley, William H. (William Henry), 1856-1886
- 1 Exall, Alexander D. (Alexander Duval), 1853-1928
- 1 Ficklin, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1827-1871
- 1 Forsythe, James A. (James Adger), 1853-1925
- 1 Green, William H. (William Henry), 1852-1891
- 1 Hall, Julien A.
- 1 Johnston, Andrew L. (Andrew Langstaff)
- 1 Jones, Selby
- 1 Laird, Edward C. (Edward Chambers), 1854-1938
- 2 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Mitchell Family
- 1 Mitchell, William H. (William Heiskell), 1850-1907
- 1 Mosby Family
- 1 Mosby, John B. (John Burks), 1853-1876
- 1 Nalle, William
- 1 Neill, William
- 1 Paine, Robert A. (Robert Alexander), 1859-1929
- 1 Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1856-1927
- 1 Rutledge family
- 1 Rutledge, Oliver M. (Oliver Middleton), 1862-1928
- 1 Sims, John, 1843-1889
- 1 Tams, William P. (William Purviance), 1852-1920
- 1 Walker, Charles D.
- 2 Wiegand, William E. (William Edward), 1853-1928 ∧ less