Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Identifier: RG-06-Publications-Reports of the Superintendent
Scope and Contents The annual reports of the Superintendent contain a detailed account of the activities for each academic year. The 19th century through mid-20th century reports are an excellent primary source for exploring the administrative and academic history of the Institute. In addition to annual reports, special reports were occasionally issued to provide details about specific topics; and "semi-annual" reports were published during parts of the 19th century to provide the results of mid-year...
Scope and Contents Bound and unbound historical records documenting the operation of the Commandant's office and of the Corps of Cadets. The earliest examples date from 1839, the first year of the Institute. Items include: guard records, morning reports, demerit books, inspection books, permit books, muster rolls, record of events, penalty tour and confinement records, Commandant orders and memoranda, World War I Training Camp (1917-1918), ordnance stores (1858, 1861), George C. Marshall signed amnesty...
Scope and Contents This collection comprises the official public minutes of the VMI Board of Visitors. The first meeting of the Board was held in May 1839. A significant portion of historical minutes have been digitized and are available online, including those for the Civil War era. Modern minutes (from 1982-forward) are also available online.
Scope and Contents The collection consitsts of a single bound volume with the title "Basic Military Training, Volume II" published by the Military Service Publishing Company, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The manual includes the following sections: Soldier's Handbook (FM 21-100); INfantry Drill Regulations (FM 22-5); U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1903 (FM 23-10); U. S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 (FM 23-5); Signal Communication (FM 24-5); Interior Guard Duty (FM 26-5); Sports and Games (TM 21-220); Marking of Clothing,...
Scope and Contents Records of the administration of VMI Superintendent Charles E. Kilbourne. Includes correspondence, biographical information, speeches and related Institute official records, 1937-1946. These records cover the World War II era at VMI.
Scope and Contents Official records of the Edward W. Nichols Administration, 1907-1924. Includes official correspondence, annual reports, and other material documenting Nichols's years as Superintendent.
Scope and Contents Official records of the George R. E. Shell administration, including correspondence, annual reports, and related papers/records for the period 1961-1970.
Scope and Contents Official records of the Lejeune administration, including correspondence, annual reports, and other offical records originating in the office of the Superintendent, 1929-1937
Scope and Contents Official records from the administration of Richard J. Marshall, including annual reports and biographical file. Chronological correspondence files do not exist for this administration. Major activities of this administration are documented in the Minutes of the Board of Visitors
Scope and Contents Records from the administration of Richard L. Irby, VMI's 10th Superintendent. Includes correspondence, reports, photographs, orders and memoranda, and other official records.
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- History -- 20th century X
- 1 Bunting, Josiah, III, 1939-
- 1 Cocke, William H. (William Horner), 1874-1938
- 1 Couper, Wm. (William), b. 1884
- 1 Gibbs, Nellie Tracy, 1868-1948
- 1 Irby, Richard L., 1918-2002
- 1 Kilbourne, Charles E. (Charles Evans), 1872-1963
- 1 Lejeune, John Archer, 1867-1942
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Marshall, Richard J., 1895-1973
- 1 Milton, William H. (William Hammond), 1900-1984
- 1 Nichols, E. W. (Edward West), 1858-1927
- 1 Shell, George R. E., 1908-1996
- 2 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Board of Visitors
- 2 Virginia Military Institute. Office of Communications and Marketing
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Chief of Staff
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 11 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent. ∧ less