Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 29
Scope and Contents Letter from Cadet Alfred R. Gibbons to his father, dated December 22, 1863. Discusses Corps being called out on a march in response to Union Army troop movements; misc. aspects of cadet life.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the papers consist of 28 letters written by Gatewood to his parents and other family members, 1860-1864.Early letters describe life at the Virginia Military Institute (hazing, daily routine, excitement about secession, cadets as drillmasters) and in Lexington, Virginia, just prior to and during early months of the Civil War. Subsequent letters date from his service with the 11th Virginia Cavalry Regiment,Company F, (Bath Squadron), including a letter written after the second Battle...
Scope and Contents A collection (1845-1928; bulk dated 1860-1865) of correspondence, photographs, and miscellaneous documents of R. Henry Campbell and members of the Varner family of Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia. Includes Civil War letters of soldiers R. Henry Campbell (1861 April-July) and Charles V. Varner (1864, 1865). The letters were written while they were serving with the Rockbridge Rifles (part of the 4th, 5th, and 27th Virginia Infantry regiments at various dates during the war). Significant...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of the message book and diary (in one volume) kept by Phillips during the period April 24, 1864 - July 13, 1864. Includes details about Signal Corps activities during this period. Mentions seeing the VMI cadets at Hanover Junction on May 23 (including his brother Samuel Travers Phillips), where they stopped on their way to Richmond after the Battle of New Market on May 15.In addition, the papers include 10 miscellaneous documents dated 1864 - 1865, including...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a one volume notebook-diary kept by Virginia Military Institute Cadet Charles T. Haigh in 1862- 1864. The volume provides insight into the life and concerns of a VMI cadet during the Civil War. It primarily contains poetry written by his classmates, as well as poetry by Sara Henderson Smith, the wife of VMI's Superintendent, Francis H. Smith. The diary portion contains sparse entries for the period March-May 1863. Included are occasional references to...
Scope and Contents Bound and unbound historical records documenting the operation of the Commandant's office and of the Corps of Cadets. The earliest examples date from 1839, the first year of the Institute. Items include: guard records, morning reports, demerit books, inspection books, permit books, muster rolls, record of events, penalty tour and confinement records, Commandant orders and memoranda, World War I Training Camp (1917-1918), ordnance stores (1858, 1861), George C. Marshall signed amnesty...
Scope and Contents One letter (November 26, 1863) from Cadet Edmund Berkeley to his mother. Berkeley has been informed of his sister's death and offers consolation to his mother. He also gives VMI news and complains about the food (early reference to "growley" a VMI slang word used for mess hall food).
Scope and Contents J. O. Humphreys served with the 1st Independent Ohio Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. He was mortally wounded at Petersburg.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by James Harden to his sister, covering wartime events experienced by his unit as well as his time at Ft. Delaware. Also included is one letter written from VMI in June 1861 and miscellaneous items.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of the Civil War correspondence (18 items) of James Henry Reid. Included are 13 letters from Reid to his parents written while he was a fourth classman at the Virginia Military Institute, August - November 1862. This correspondence contains many references to wartime cadet life, including use of the term "rat" as a name for new cadets, hazing, uniforms, food, guard duty and other aspects of life ...
- Subject: Virginia Military Institute -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- 1 Arnold, Laura Ann Jackson, 1826-1911
- 1 Atwill, Samuel F. (Samuel Francis), 1846-1864
- 1 Berkeley, Edmund, 1847-1906
- 1 Campbell family
- 1 Campbell, R. Henry (Robert Henry)
- 1 Chalmers, William M. (William Murray), 1845-1895
- 1 Crichton, John A. (John Ashton), 1845-1880
- 1 Damron, Christopher
- 1 Davis, Thomas D. (Thomas Dixon), 1843-1925
- 1 Edmondson, James K., 1832-1898
- 1 Flannagan, William W. (William Walker), 1843-1923
- 1 Gatewood, Andrew C. L. (Andrew Cameron Lewis), 1843-1919
- 1 Gibbons, Alfred Ringgold
- 1 Gilham, William, 1818-1872
- 1 Haigh, Charles Thomas, 1845-1864
- 1 Hanna, John F. (John Francis), 1843-1885
- 1 Harden, James A. (James Abel), 1841-1927
- 1 Humphreys, J. O.
- 1 Hunter, David
- 2 Jackson, Stonewall, 1824-1863
- 1 James, John G. (John Garland), 1844-1930
- 1 Johnson Family
- 1 Johnson, Mortimer H. (Mortimer Howell), 1815-1889
- 1 Johnson, Porter, 1845-1917
- 1 Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- 1 Lewis, Norborne C. (Norborne Clark), 1846-1905
- 2 Madison, Robert L. (Robert Lewis), 1828-1878
- 1 Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- 1 Merritt, James L. (James Love), 1845-1911
- 1 Overton, Archibald W. (Archibald Waller), 1845-1920
- 1 Perkins, Louisa Henderson
- 1 Phillips, Charles C. (Charles Coatsworth)
- 1 Phillips, Samuel T. (Samuel Travers)
- 1 Prince, Joseph B. (Joseph Brown), 1844-1903
- 1 Radford, William N. (William Norvell), 1846-1872
- 1 Randolph, Norwood B. (Norwood Beverley), 1849-1874
- 1 Reid, James H. (James Henry), 1845-1921
- 1 Roller Family
- 1 Roller, John E. (John Edwin), 1844-1917
- 1 Royster, Lawrence, 1841-1914
- 1 Rutherford Family
- 1 Rutherford, Robert H. (Robert Henderson), 1844-1863
- 1 Scofield, Uri B.
- 1 Shipp, Scott, 1839-1917
- 1 Shriver, Samuel S. (Samuel Sprigg), 1843-1881
- 1 Smith, Edward H. (Edward Harvie), 1845-1912
- 1 Smith, Francis H. (Francis Henney), 1812-1890
- 1 Smith, Sara Henderson, 1812-1884
- 1 Snodgrass family
- 1 Snodgrass, John B. (John Breathed), 1843-1908
- 1 Stanard, Jaqueline Beverly, 1845-1864
- 1 Stevenson, Maria C.
- 1 Stevenson, Thomas A. (Thomas Andrew), 1841-?
- 1 Tredway, Thomas B. (Thomas Booker), 1844-1863
- 1 Varner family
- 1 Varner, Andrew W. (Andrew Wallace), 1831-1910
- 1 Varner, Charles V. (Charles Van Buren), 1838-1907
- 1 Veitch, Wilberforce, 1846-1921
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Institute Physician
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Commandant
- 1 Virginia Military Institute. Office of the Superintendent.
- 1 Walker, Samuel T., 1830-1863
- 1 Watson, William G. (William Gerard), 1837-1922
- 1 Williamson, Thomas H. (Thomas Hoomes), 1813-1888
- 1 Yarbrough, William T. (William Tilton), 1846-1895 ∧ less